• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wrestling questions

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
We need a bit of action here in this section. I'm going to try a little series of who's the greatest...(this is all subjective, of course.)

I'll start off with an easy one: Who's the greatest Intercontinental Champion?

You can just mention the wrestler who you think is the greatest, or you can also say why you believe so and so is the greatest.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Tough call...people immediately say Honky Tonk Man because he has the record in length but nah, not gonna go there. Jericho has the most reigns at 9...so he's got a shot. Although the Attitude Era would flip flop titles all the time. I will not say Jericho either. (It ain't Pat Patterson)

Randy Savage
Ricky Steamboat
Mr Perfect
Bret Hart
Shawn Michaels

Those guys all made the IC Title what it was...I didn't did someone like Pedro Morales wrestle so I won't say him.

The top 5 guys in length of time are Honky, Morales, Savage, Muraco, and Greg Valentine.

I am inclined to say it is either Randy Savage or Mr. Perfect...can you tell I am trying to decide this answer as I type? Ultimately, I will say Mr. Perfect. When I was a kid, he was the champ. He made me care about the title a lot. You can't go wrong with Savage but for me, I'll say Curt Hennig.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
That's indeed a tricky question. I'd contend this is indeed a toss-up between Savage and Mr. Perfect. Savage for the length of his reign, but Mr. Perfect because I felt he was untouchable as IC Champion until he lost the title to Bret Hart at Summerslam 1991. What a shame that program with Hulk Hogan never truly materialized

Here's another question to keep this moving along: which 2nd (or 3rd) generation star do you think should've had better success than he currently had so far?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
As you know, I'm a Bret Hart mark, but I'm going with Randy Savage. I just feel that he really elevated that belt, and could make himself up to be almost the equal of Hogan, though nobody was going to beat the Hulk.

And Savage, of course, was able to work some fantastic matches, with the top one being classic Wrestlemania III match with Ricky Steamboat.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Next question. People can go back to old ones if they feel like it.

Choose the better gimmick:

-Hulkamania or Hollywood Hogan
-Mankind or Cactus Jack
-Surfer Sting or Crow Sting
-Dustin Rhodes or Goldust
-1-2-3 Kid or X-Pac
-Double J or Jeff Jarrett: The Chosen One
- Papa Shango or Godfather
-JBL or Bradshaw from APA

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Let's see.

-Hollywood Hogan for me. A complete contrast to everything that Hulkamania stood for back in the day and came at a moment in which Hogan sorely needed it because his character had become stale.

-Mankind for sure. I'd never thought I'd see The Undertaker find his Waterloo during his career and yet, here came Mankind who had no fear whatsoever and could take as much pain as he could dish. Beautiful complex character for Mick Foley

-Crow Sting. A little bit similar than Hogan's, although Surfer Sting was still as popular than ever when the NWO started but Sting needed to reinvent himself in order to be Hogan's foil. Kudos to Scott Hall who came up with the idea for Crow Sting

-Goldust, without a question. I think this transcends Dustin Rhodes' career, who had a pretty good WCW run but to me, Goldust was the true beginning of the Attitude Era. WWE really pushed the envelope with Goldust and it paid off.

-Don't have a preference for 1-2-3 Kid or X-Pac but for the sake of the game, X-Pac

-Jeff Jarrett: The Chosen One. Double J couldn't be taken seriously so he had to make that transition. Didn't like how he booked himself in TNA but that's for another debate.

-2 kinda cartoonish characters but The Godfather as far as I'm concerned. Really fit the Attitude Era. But I wish I could've known more about the Papa Shango gimmick as a kid.

-Definitely JBL. APA Bradshaw was really fun but JBL was so beneficial to his career. My friend always told me that he thought the JBL character was directly inspired from George W. Bush, although I never really saw the connection lol

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
-Hulkamania or Hollywood Hogan - This is the toughest one, no doubt. I'm going to say Hulkamania even though I think Hollywood and the nWo were revolutionary. Hulkamania is what led to John Cena being able to be John Cena. This template will keep young fans getting into wrestling for generations to come.

-Mankind or Cactus Jack - Mankind. Cactus is a gimmick that I love, but without Mankind's unique brand of insanity I don't think Jack would have been embraced in the same way.

-Surfer Sting or Crow Sting - Crow Sting. It's my favorite gimmick but it also was done at the perfect time, during WCW's height, and was a perfect edgy anti-hero.

-Dustin Rhodes or Goldust - Golduuuuust.

-1-2-3 Kid or X-Pac - X-Pac - Waltmann did the Kid perfectly, but that gimmick of the young talent that gets one over on an established heel is a common thing. X-Pac, despite the "heat," was a great staple of the Attitude Era and big part of what made Degneration X cool (What about Syxx? :p)

-Double J or Jeff Jarrett -The gimmick that Jarrett used in WCW took him to new heights, slapnuts.

- Papa Shango or Godfather - I personally like Shango a lot but Godfather was huge and successful.

-JBL or Bradshaw from APA - JBL. More and more these days I admire modern heels that truly get heat, and JBL did that with excellence. It was also another one of those timely gimmicks based on the political climate of the U.S. and also used the classic "above the common people" heat to make things work.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Two questions kind of day:

1. Who is the best female wrestler?

2. Who is Mr. Wrestlemania?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Two questions kind of day:

1. Who is the best female wrestler?

2. Who is Mr. Wrestlemania?
1. Currently, I'm going to say Sasha Banks. She's my favorite, but she's also a phenomenal athlete. I mean I could say it's a three-way tie between here, Charlotte, and Bayley to be honest.

2. I have to say Undertaker. No one has been so synonymous with Wrestlemania than that (dead)man.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
1. I'd have to go with Charlotte right now. Let's forget about the hot potato that has become the RAW's Women's Championship; Charlotte has been really, really good in the ring in the past year. I think that her only flaw at the moment is that she still can get frazzled when a crowd decides to put themselves over at the expense of the segment. But other than that, she's grown leaps & bounds with her character.

2. Gotta go with Shawn Michaels, simply in terms of quality matches this man has put over the years at the PPV. Hell, he got out of Mr. McMahon a very enjoyable match at Wrestlemania 22, that's saying something!