Wrestling MOTY 2009

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by wooly, Nov 24, 2009.

1. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

With WWE and TNA having only one PPV left in 2009, we're coming towards the end of the year!

So what do you think has been the 2009 Match of the Year so far? Also what's your TV MOTY?

I think HBK vs Undertaker will be a lot of people's choices and i can't see it not winning this year, but i think there's a few matches out there that are better than it.

1. Davey Richards vs KENTA - ROH Supercard of Honor IV

Just a fantastic match. Fast, technically amazing, brilliant atmosphere, nail biting near falls. Except for a slightly botched ending (that was well recovered and didn't really impact on the match at all) i think this would be a ***** star match by pretty much every wrestling pundit out there! it was almost perfect. Definitely my MOTY.

2. Desmond Wolfe vs Kurt Angle - TNA Turning Point
    This was an amazing technical wrestling match. Absolutely brilliant. It even reminded me of Bret Hart vs British Bulldog it was so good. Apart from the great technical wrestling in this match, they really told a story in the ring. Hopefully this mach really was a 'Turning Point' for TNA. Definitely their best match of the year.

3. El Generico vs Nick Jackson vs Jigsaw vs Kota Ibushi - CHIKARA King of Trios (Night 2)
    I haven't seen much CHIKARA wrestling this year but.... Holy zombie jesus this match was insane!!! Every single wrestler in the match put everything they had into the match and... If you watch this match i guarantee you will see something (probably lots of things!) that you never have seen before. Everybody impressed. Kota Ibushi put in one of the best performances i've ever seen a wrestler put in and Nick Jackson proved what he can do as a singles wrestler outside of The Young Bucks. Absolutely amazing match. Possibly too spotty to win MOTY, but definitely the craziest most entertaining match of the year!

As for my TV MOTY so far...

1. Bryan Danielson vs Tyler Black vs Jerry Lynn vs Austin Aries - ROH on HDNet 06/06/2009
    Nothing comes close to this for TV MOTY this year. Hell, this could be good enough to win overall MOTY!!! Brilliant match. Definitely recommend checking it out on Youtube.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

No doubt in my opinion the match of the year was between Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker. Those two gave their all in that match and both wrestlers weren't at 100%, especially the Undertaker. Second would be the Angle match, I saw that match and was amazed, it was nice to see Angle still had it.

3. Anthony1975

Anthony1975 Registered Member

My vote goes to Angle v McGuiness at Turning Point. Angle despite his numerous injuries still knows how to put on a Wrestling clinic and I would say McGuiness is possibly the closest in similarity to Angle when it comes to the technical side of Wrestling.

4. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Supposedly Angle's back went out early on in the match aswell which makes the match even more impressive. He must have been feeling the pain afterwards. Their match almost took the top spot from Richards vs KENTA, but after watching the latter again, i think it just edged it for me.

After watching Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels again... It was definitely an amazing match but i wouldn't put it as MOTY. I think it's a little overrated. I mean, the whole basis behind it's amazingness was the botched cameraman spot and both of them kicking out of eachother's finishers. Yes it was a great match that did tell a story in the ring aswell, but i think it lacked a lot of depth that Angle vs McGuinness and Richards vs KENTA had.

Oh and what do you guys think was the best match on TV this year?

5. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

We will be doing another installment of the awards of the year in the sport of wrestling. So stay tuned for that. I'll announce the categories in December and we'll decide who should be included. I think last year it was WWE only...we can add TNA if u want too as wlel.

6. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

I'd definitely add TNA, and to be honest i think all promotions should be available to choose from.

WWE has been terrible this year. HBK vs Taker is the only match that comes close to deserving a MOTY award this year for me and i even think that was overrated somewhat. In terms of wrestling, WWE has been one of the worst promotions this year (along with TNA for the most part of 2009). Promotions like ROH and NOAH have about 10 matches a year at least that can match up to HBK vs Taker in terms of wrestling quality.

I know not everybody watches ROH on a regular basis on the forum (i don't even watch it regularly anymore due to a busy schedule) but if anybody took the time to watch Lynn vs Danielson vs Black vs Aries, if it was nominated for TV MOTY for example, i'm pretty sure everybody would agree that it blows any match on RAW or Smackdown out of the water.

7. Millz

Well the problem is that not everybody watches ROH. I think Anthony and yourself are the only ones who do. I'm not against tossing them into the mix but I'd want more feedback on it because I'd have no clue what to do like I did with the WWE awards.

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I am glad that we will be doing the awards again this year, I believe it was lots of fun last time we attempted it.

The thing about adding ROH and TNA wrestlers is that we don't have enough wrestling fans to add those wrestlers. We have what, six to eight active wrestling fans here? Don't think it would work all that well.

9. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

SHAWN MICHAELS VS THE UNDERTAKER - WRESTLEMANIA 25!

That was easily the best match imo.....ahhh I was jumping out of my seat watching that match, actually wondering if Taker was going to lose his winning streak.

So awesome!

10. Millz

I do want to wait until after Tables, Ladders and Chairs to do this in case Benjamin and Christian should be nominated lol.

I'll post the results and categories from last year on Tuesday when I'm back at work.