• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PPV Wrestlemania XXVII

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm really happy I was able to start this thread.

Alright guys, it's time to start talking about the biggest show of the year. Wrestlemania XXVII. What matches will we see, only time will tell. The Rock will be hosting this years show, what kind of impact will he have?

I'm really excited about this year Wrestlemania and I can't wait to start getting some discussion going about it.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
The potential for this card is HUGE! With six weeks of buildup, I really really really hope this card gets pulled off...

There are a few givens (match wise):
Cena/Miz
Del Rio/Edge
Punk/Orton

Then what else? Taker will be in there (most likely against Trips), but besides that, the card is all rumors...

Hmm...

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I honestly don't see much appeal on the card right now.

Miz vs Cena - Seen that, what, 5 or 6 times nothing special there.

Orton vs Punk - Nothing is really on the line here and they are really going to have to beef this storyline up to get more attention.

Edge vs Del Rio - I am praying that this won't turn into a fatal 4 way with Christian and Ziggler involved. Keep the story as it and have a one on one match. (No offense to Christian, can't see him just all of a sudden becoming a main eventer for Mania)

Undertaker vs Triple H - I hope this doesn't take place. (I still have hope for Sting)

MITB - Bryan, Kingston...etc...

The Rock will probably come out during the aftermath of Cena's match and give the Rock Bottom to The Miz. Cut a couple of promos and that is about it.

Then you may have:
Mysterio vs Rhodes

McIntyre vs Ziggler

Now look at this card, now this is all definitely rumored and things can change, but look at this. The way this Mania is shaping up, after a disappointing PPV, do you see the appeal for this? This looks like a card for Backlash. They really don't have a Wrestlemania headline match yet. So here are 2 matches that can give this lackluster Mania more buys.

First scenario have Cena and Miz compete for the title on Raw and have Cena lose. This has to be done within the next 2 weeks. Then feud with the Rock.

The Rock vs John Cena
Now that's a headliner.

Or have Sting debut tonight and face Undertaker
Sting vs Undertaker.

One of these 2 matches will create more interest.

Last edited:

Bosox04

Registered Member
I honestly don't see much appeal on the card right now.

(No offense to Christian, can't see him just all of a sudden becoming a main eventer for Mania)

Of these matches, who is a main eventer for WM? Edge and Cena. Let's take a step back and look at this for a second:

Main Eventers at Wrestlemania
I. Hogan (HoF), Mr. T, Piper (HoF), Paul Orndorff (HoF)
II. Hogan, King Kong Bundy
III. Hogan, Andre (HoF)
IV. Hogan, Andre
V. Hogan, Savage (Future HoF)
VI. Hogan, Ultimate Warrior
VII. Hogan, Sgt Slaughter (HoF)
VIII. Flair (HoF) vs Savage
IX. Bret Hart (HoF), Yokozuna (HoF), Hogan
X. Bret Hart, Yokozuna, Lex Luger (Possible HoF)
XI. Diesel (Future HoF), HBK (HoF)
XII. Bret Hart, HBK
13. Sid, Undertaker (Future HoF)
XIV. HBK, Stone Cold Steve Austin (HoF)
XV. Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock (Future HoF)
2000. The Rock, Big Show (Possible future HoF), HHH (Future HoF), Mick Foley (Future HoF)
X-7. Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock
X-8. Jericho (Future HoF), HHH
Seems that things from here start to lose a bit of the punch
XIX. Brock Lesnar (No way he should be in the Hall of Fame), Kurt Angle (Debatable HoF), Booker T (Possible HoF), HHH
XX. HBK, HHH, Chris Benoit (umm...probably never, although would have had he not been insane), Eddie Guerrero (HoF), Kurt Angle
21. JBL (Future HoF), Cena (Future HoF)
22. Kurt Angle, Rey Mysterio (Future HoF), Cena, Randy Orton (Not ready to say future HoF, but at the current rate, will be in), HHH
23. Cena, HBK, Batista (Possible future HoF), Undertaker
XXIV. Orton, HHH, Cena, Undertaker, Edge (Future HoF)
XXV. Edge, Orton, HHH, Cena, Big Show
XXVI. Jericho, Edge, Cena, Batista

Now, look at this years' Main Event (Championship)

John Cena vs The Miz

Cena has been apart of every ppv main event in 2010 (in some fashion). Maybe I just don't get major appeal of Cena, but to me, he's no Hogan, Austin, or HBK. I think that the WWE could use a Cena heel turn...but that's just my opinion.

Miz is worthless. His persona is about as appealing as Mr. Kennedy's, and wrestling skills leave a lot to be desired. Putting the belt on him is one thing, but sticking him in on the main stage at WM is a joke. I just don't see this as one of the more memorable WM matches.

Del Rio vs Edge

Edge is a seasoned vet. He's well deserving of being in the main event again this year, and is worthy of holding a major belt. He is a great entertainer, although is far more entertaining as a heel.

Del Rio is a joke. When I saw that he won the Rumble, I was so disapointed in the WWE. Del Rio is not in line with guys like Austin, HBK, Ric Flair, and Bret Hart. His WWE in ring debute was Aug. 20---and in less than a year, he is headlining Wrestlemania? Okay, great...he was famous in Mexico...but is the WWE so desperate for the Latino audience that they're going to waste a spot in a Wrestlemania Main event? That would be like the NFL saying that since the Cowboys are a popular team, they should have been in the NFC Championship game. This just seems like a terrible move. Christian, by far, would have been a better draw. Edge vs Christian? That would be pretty awesome!

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Hey Bosox, great to have another active poster in the Wrestling section! Hope to see your opinions on a regular basis, my friend!

Now, look at this years' Main Event (Championship)

John Cena vs The Miz

Cena has been apart of every ppv main event in 2010 (in some fashion). Maybe I just don't get major appeal of Cena, but to me, he's no Hogan, Austin, or HBK. I think that the WWE could use a Cena heel turn...but that's just my opinion.

Miz is worthless. His persona is about as appealing as Mr. Kennedy's, and wrestling skills leave a lot to be desired. Putting the belt on him is one thing, but sticking him in on the main stage at WM is a joke. I just don't see this as one of the more memorable WM matches.

Del Rio vs Edge

Edge is a seasoned vet. He's well deserving of being in the main event again this year, and is worthy of holding a major belt. He is a great entertainer, although is far more entertaining as a heel.

Del Rio is a joke. When I saw that he won the Rumble, I was so disapointed in the WWE. Del Rio is not in line with guys like Austin, HBK, Ric Flair, and Bret Hart. His WWE in ring debute was Aug. 20---and in less than a year, he is headlining Wrestlemania? Okay, great...he was famous in Mexico...but is the WWE so desperate for the Latino audience that they're going to waste a spot in a Wrestlemania Main event? That would be like the NFL saying that since the Cowboys are a popular team, they should have been in the NFC Championship game. This just seems like a terrible move. Christian, by far, would have been a better draw. Edge vs Christian? That would be pretty awesome!
One thing I'm curious about, do you watch WWE regularly as an active fan? If I was more casual about keeping up with it I'd probably have similar opinions about Miz and Del Rio; having watched them get their respective pushes, however, I can tell that they'll be good in the WM main events. The WWE is pushing a lot of young talent and these guys are good representatives of that.

As a huge fan of both Edge and Christian, however, I'd rather see them facing off for the Title more than either of these matches...without a doubt. I do think that the feud will happen eventually, I just don't know if the title will be involved; Christian being in the main event at WM isn't feasible this year, due to the fact that he's just returning from injury a month before the event.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
To those who may be upset about the potential card.

THIS IS A TRANSITIONAL PERIOD.

We are currently in the the middle of a transition from the HHH/Taker dominant era to a younger era with new, young superstars. This needs to happen.

Established stars need to begin to put newer stars over, or the potential for future WMs will pale to match the grandeur of past events.

Personally, I LOVE the idea of having Miz face Cena. They have a brief history and can perform well together. I hope we see Miz retain.

Del Rio/Edge will be great. I LOVE Del Rio's character, despite its flaws. He is the future top heel of SD, to be sure, so he has to be built up now!

Taker/Trips makes sense. We will be seeing both of these men, most likely, retire within a year, so don't complain about this match. I have an inkling that Sting WILL NOT be coming to the WWE... it makes no sense given the youth movement.

I don't get why everyone is so high on Christian... why now? I was high on him when he was in TNA... when he came back to the WWE in ECW, I knew he wasn't going to get much of a push for a while. Christian and Edge is a SummerSlam main event. NOT WrestleMania.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Your right about one thing KSpice, we are in a transitional period on the road to Wrestlemania. I didn't mean for my previous post to sound to harsh, but I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and after reading what I posted I still stand by what I posted. There will be great matches at Mania. Punk vs Orton and Edge vs Del Rio well hopefully be classics. But every year there is a headline match. Undertaker vs Sting would not take away from the youth movement, in fact it could make it stronger as long as both guys put younger talent over after Mania. If Triple H really wants to put over a young talent, he can put his career on the line against Sheamus and have Sheamus go over at Mania. Sheamus has gotten buried as of late and literally has stumbled back into the upper midcard ranks. More than like they will not have MITB this year due to the MITB ppv in a few months. So therefore we are probably going to see a fatal four way for the IC title. Don't get me wrong, I am all about the youth movement.

Speaking of the youth movement, wouldn't it be great to see Daniel Bryan vs John Morrison in the ring for 20 minutes at Mania. That would be one hell of a match and could possibly steal the show.

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Your right about one thing KSpice, we are in a transitional period on the road to Wrestlemania. I didn't mean for my previous post to sound to harsh, but I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and after reading what I posted I still stand by what I posted. There will be great matches at Mania. Punk vs Orton and Edge vs Del Rio well hopefully be classics. But every year there is a headline match. Undertaker vs Sting would not take away from the youth movement, in fact it could make it stronger as long as both guys put younger talent over after Mania. If Triple H really wants to put over a young talent, he can put his career on the line against Sheamus and have Sheamus go over at Mania. Sheamus has gotten buried as of late and literally has stumbled back into the upper midcard ranks. More than like they will not have MITB this year due to the MITB ppv in a few months. So therefore we are probably going to see a fatal four way for the IC title. Don't get me wrong, I am all about the youth movement.
That headline match would be HHH/Taker... if not that than Miz/Cena! I think we all just have to get used to seeing young names in headline matches.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Yeah that's true...I forgot about Michael Cole vs Jerry "The King" Lawler. That match is going to be funny.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Yeah that's true...I forgot about Michael Cole vs Jerry "The King" Lawler. That match is going to be funny.
JR as guest ref? That would make me go crazy! They need to add a stupid stipulation to this, though. Make it extremely one-sided.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 2
Millz Wrestling 8
HabsMike25 Wrestling 6
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 64
KSpiceFantastic Wrestling 4