• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wrapper message on condoms causes complaints from parents.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
BOSTON (CBS) – Boston Public Schools have returned what’s left of 40,000 condoms donated by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health to the schools’ free condoms program.
That’s because the wrappers carried suggestive messages that many parents said were inappropriate for their teenagers.

Boston Public Schools Replace Thousands Of Condoms After Wrapper Message Complaints CBS Boston
I really don't blame parents for being upset that this school is passing out condoms with messages like 'hump one' or 'lucky lady' on it. I think it trivializes sex and makes it seem as no big deal when it is. Not that I have a problem with schools giving them to students that want them, just not condoms with cute jokes on them. With or without them if they are going to have sex they will anyway. At least this way they will have protected sex.

Thoughts?

dDave

V.I.P.
If there's one thing that many people have learned over history it's that sex sells. If you advertise to try and make sex appeal to people more than it already does then you're probably going to make a profit. Some people would argue that my idea on this is incorrect but honestly, how can you dispute the claim?

Yeah, while I wouldn't say the comments on the wrappers are out of control, they're certainly uncalled for. It's easy to see how it can offend people.

I do love how these days schools are teaching about safe sex rather than having any kind of emphasis on abstinence which is obviously the best pathway to avoiding problems. (physically and emotionally)

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree sex does sell or they wouldn't use it so much to sell everything from cars to body spray.

Abstinence would be the best for high school students and they should teach it but many won't listen. Those that won't listen are the ones that should be getting free condoms so at least they won't end up pregnant or with a STD.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I really, really dislike how something like this is an issue because to me, it just shows that a lot of people would prefer that we scare and intimidate our children when it comes to sex. I don't know why the wrapping is a problem, to me it's an attempt at painting a bit of light to the situation and in a country where sex is still commonly met with an archaic grayness, I think it's healthy to teach kids to NOT be ashamed or afraid of their bodies.

And Dave it's because studies have shown abstinence programs don't work. Areas where curriculum maintain an abstinence only program tend to have higher pregnancy and STD rates (click to read). If you starve people of knowledge, you set them up to fail. This idea of "if we don't tell them, they'll be safe" is dangerously wrong.

dDave

V.I.P.
And Dave it's because studies have shown abstinence programs don't work. Areas where curriculum maintain an abstinence only program tend to have higher pregnancy and STD rates (click to read). If you starve people of knowledge, you set them up to fail. This idea of "if we don't tell them, they'll be safe" is dangerously wrong.
I'm not saying ONLY teach abstinence. I'm saying that it should be presented as a legitimate option. Lots of schools don't even have abstinence as part of their curriculum anymore, they just go straight to safe sex under the assumption that everyone is going to have sex. I do believe that when it's not even presented as a legitimate option that we have a problem.

It's a fact that abstinence does work for those that actually practice it. ;)

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
There is nothing wrong with teaching abstinence, not all high school kids are having sex and I don't think we should we forget about that group. However many are and those should receive free condoms and taught safe sex because teaching abstinence isn't going to discourage them. Giving them condoms will reduce pregnancy and STD's.
------
I just want to add one more thing, neither side of this should be made feel bad for their choice.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm not saying ONLY teach abstinence. I'm saying that it should be presented as a legitimate option. Lots of schools don't even have abstinence as part of their curriculum anymore, they just go straight to safe sex under the assumption that everyone is going to have sex. I do believe that when it's not even presented as a legitimate option that we have a problem.
It IS taught as a legitimate option pretty much everywhere. Teachers aren't telling kids to have sex and teaching them about contraceptives and being safe is NOT condoning it either (this is a logically broken argument and has been proven wrong multiple times). My school as well as many others taught that waiting until you are ready is the best and to me, that's the perfect way to teach it. Give them knowledge and teach them the risks.

It's a fact that abstinence does work for those that actually practice it. ;)
Of course, IF it's actually practiced. Entrusting teenagers to follow strict rules especially from something as natural as sex is a tall order. Not to mention, a lot of people think that abstinence-only doesn't/does apply to oral, fondling, etc. The fact that the definition isn't even widely agreed upon is another problem.

Laine

Registered Member
The wrappers made me lol. And I can understand how parents can be upset by them. I do not think the comments on them are terrible, but as said maybe not called for on such a serious item. I understand also that because would say they are cute or funny and saw them in a store they may pick this type only because of the comments on them, so it is a good selling position, BUT not maybe so much to be given away at a school.

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
We were never taught abstinence. No one except the Jehovah witness taught me about waiting until marriage. I really don't think kids need sex. . in all my high school years I had not done intercourse or oral. Just my hand on a girl only on a couple of occasions. . I look and I really didn't miss anything. It not really that important kids should have to worry of such things. At that age it is fun to ride bikes, skate boards, go to the mall, and amusement parks. . Just to have her just to be a girlfriend to hold her hand and kiss would have been enough. That’s how I feel now looking back.

I used to be ok with casual sex even one night stands. . today I believe in commitments so I think if schools hand out condoms sex will just be taken too lightly. What if parents are trying to teach their kids to wait for the right person. That kids say yeah but the principal and teacher says sex is ok any time with this protection. In my opinion they are just giving in to these kids be a good example. Even if some disobey you can hope they will learn from their mistakes. Being sex free as growing up is not bad at all. Its actually better all the way around..

ILuvChuzzles31

Registered Member
The wrappers on these condoms are deplorable and never should have been made.

Really just think about it..In the mind of a teenager that is just becoming aware of the opposite sex and reading these wrappers. How really prepared for sex will either sex be?
They are not really going to worry about never having another first chance at sex.

If they read these and it makes them want to have sex more what happens then if the condom is faulty and the girl ends up pregnant?
If messages had to be on condoms they should be words of wisdonm especially for high school students not having them read something that just may want to put them more in the mood.