Would you visit Iraq as a tourist?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Mirage, Aug 28, 2008.

?

1. Yes

22.2%
  2. No

77.8%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

If so you'll have a lot more to do in Baghdad soon if you wait a bit than you would if you visited now. They are building a giant Ferris wheel.

I applaud them for trying to overcome the terrorism that is rampid in that area but I have to say that I just could not make myself go there as a tourist. I'd have to see a huge change and a solid track record of no bombings and other forms of terrorism for a very long time before I'd even consider it.

Even so you have to give them credit for attempting to move on. I wish them the best of luck with this theme park.

Baghdad plans to build giant Ferris wheel

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Given that several million Iraqis fled Iraq and haven't returned, I'll take their queue and stay clear.

3. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Agreed with both of you ... for the time being, it would be way too risky for my taste. But assuming the country gets stable again within the next decade or two, why not? But then, I guess there are more interesting tourist locations anyway. For example, I've not seen much of the US yet, except for Portland, Oregon and parts of Washington state. I'd love to see the East Coast, California and Chicago.

4. viLky

viLky ykLiv

No, I wouldn't. Iraq has never been one of my vacation spots to say the least. It's not all about the danger rather than the attractions. If you want me there, you need something to attract me. Then I'll go.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  5. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

If tourists get their own palace, armed bodyguards, air support and heavy armour transport vehicles.. then still no.

edit; now I have time to elaborate..

It might be unique. Perhaps I'd have an experience like no other but I value my life and I believe it could be at risk there. Moreso than with other options, at least. I wouldn't worry my loved ones like that. I highly doubt Iraq would benefit from my visiting either. I'm sure it'd have some positive effect on me too but at what possible price? I also certainly don't feel the need to visit dangerous place to impress, or to differentiate myself from the norm. There's plenty of awe inspiring, life changing experiences out there without half the worry I'd possibly face.

It's just a matter of weighing up the good and bad for me. There are reasons to go, everyone might have their own but it's no contest for me. The scales have spoken. If I had family there or thought some real, significant, lasting good might come out it, it might have been a closer call.

6. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

It's way too hot there for one, and two I'll take my chances and go to Detroit. At least there I won't have to worry about being blown up by a suicide bomber.

7. Abkhaz

Abkhaz Registered Member

Absolutely!

Yes, absolutely!

I'd love to visit Iraq, one day. I would also like to visit Afghanistan, Somalia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Sudan, Chad, and many other places that are deemed poor travel destinations.

I'd much rather go to Iraq than the Caribbean, Europe, and the United States; they have nothing to attract me. I also believe Europe and the Caribbean are WAY overrated.

8. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Why there, you do realize Somalia is one of the most anarchaic countries in the world right? No central government at all.

You must not get out much to think the Caribbean and the US have nothing to offer.

9. Abkhaz

Abkhaz Registered Member

Yes, yes I do know about Somalia's situation. Still, I want to go there. As long as the Union of Islamic Courts isn't in power, I'm OK.

Yes I have been out. I've been all across the Caribbean and the United States.

10. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

You don't find a tropical paradise with a nice ocean breeze, good food and drinks and awesome scenery as something to offer?