Would you stay?

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by AngelsPeak, Apr 20, 2009.

?

What would you do?

1. Stay

88.9%
  2. Go

11.1%
  1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

They had a discussion regarding this on the radio today, and I found it to be a pretty interesting topic.

If you recently met someone and found that you "clicked" on almost every level, what would you do if you found out they had a chronic health problem? Something that gave them a range of 2-5 years to live, but with the right meds, possibly longer. (no guarantees they'd be comfortable years)

Would you stick it out and try to soak up every bit of happiness that you could, knowing this might be the only "one" for you in this lifetime?

Or, would you say "goodbye" and move on, hoping to recreate those intense feelings with someone else?

2. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I don't think I could leave. I would have to stay until the end and help her through the rest of her life. Who knows, even if the chances are small, she may end up living a very long life. Or a very short one. :[

I am kinda going through this now, but not with a partner.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally I don't think I could stick with her, it would be great to meet someone that I could relate to on almost everything, but the thought of her dying within the next five years would be to much.

It would be easier to say bye now since I've only known her for a short period of time, then saying bye to her in the hospital when she's about to die.

4. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

I'd stay for those 2-5 years. If not for me, then for them.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I would stay, if his health problem and more limited lifespan is the only issue and everything else is working great. After all, anyone could die tomorrow with or without health issues. And I'm there now.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't know if I could since I'd know our time would be short. You have to look at yourself and know what kind of person you are because if you're the type of person that's going to hurt after a relationship ends, something like this will burn for years and years and some people, I'd imagine, would not be able to love again after something like this.

As for myself, I don't know. Damn good hypothetical though, Angels. I haven't scratched my head this much since Palin was elected as McCain's running mate.

7. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

I wouldn't stay with him. Sure we'd be happy but the fact that he would die, will always be back in my mind. They deserve someone with more understanding near the end.

8. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I think I would stay. If I really felt that strongly about someone and thought it was a once in a lifetime kind of love, I'd want what was best for them and I'd try and make the last few years of their life as happy as I possibly could, knowing how much it would hurt when they died.

It would be a lot easier just to walk out from the beginning, but I don't think I could do it.

9. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't think I could stay in this situation. When they did eventually die, it would be too much to just get over, and it would have a negative impact on the rest of my life. I'd have to be selfish, and put myself first. I'd rather be unhappy for a little while, as it wouldn't take me long to get over someone I only just met, and them be unhappy for a little while too, rather than me be unhappy for the my life after they died.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Registered Member

I'd stay for sure....

I would make the most of the time we had left, and there be no reason to deny her everything that comes with caring about someone. I mean. she's going to need the support obviously. And while i think of it...i agree with Impact's signature. Time does numb the pain, it doesn't heal it and you will always be reminded of it but it might be enough to move on.