Would you rather have...

Discussion in 'NFL' started by The_Burger_King, Jul 20, 2008.

1. The_Burger_King

The_Burger_King Registered Member

Would you rather have a team who had a explosive high scoring offense but your defense was very mediocre at best, or would you rather have a team with a shut down defense (much like that of the Ravens Super Bowl winning team) and a low scoring sub par offense.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Defense usually wins championships. I'd rather have the good defense. If your defense can't make a stop, your explosive offense will never get on the field.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

A shut down defense is always better then an explosive offense in my opinion. You gave a perfect example when you mentioned the Ravens. They had an extremely dangerous defense, but had a mediocre offense, lets be honest here, Trent Dilfer would of never led this team to a Super Bowl if it wasn't for the defense. So in my opinion I rather have a shut down defense.

Major likes this.
  4. The_Burger_King

I am on the fence on this one, with a great defense your offense doesnt have to be, and I do like watching big hits for losses and INTs, but at the same time a offense that can run it up is fun to watch with a break out running back going for major yardage or a long bomb down the sidelines for 6. I could go either way on this one.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Oh I agree, it's more fun to watch an explosive offense in my opinion, watching the running back running 50 yards for the touchdown, or have the quarterback toss a 40 yard bomb to his receiver for a touchdown.

But if I was a General Manager, then my main goal would be to win a Super Bowl and I believe I have a better chance of winning a Super Bowl if I have a shut down defense.

Major likes this.
  6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

The thing about a great defense is that it'll set up the offense with great field position by forcing turnovers and 3-and-outs, so the offense doesn't have to be that great. It just seems like there's less margin for error when you have a high-powered offense and a mediocre defense. A sub-par game from the offense (which is bound to happen) will almost always result in a loss when your defense can't carry you. See the Patriots in the Super Bowl for example.

7. The_Burger_King

Yeah Iagee to win a ring I would prefer the defense.

8. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

I'd rather have a shut-down defense a la Ravens style because I think that a good defense can do as good a job as the offense as well. Other teams can't score points if they get intercepted all the time.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

It's all a matter of preference. If the defense is so frightening but the offense sucks, it's the same as having a ball-busting offense and paper thin defense.

10. The_Burger_King

If you have ast down defense I think your offesive production should be able to at least average close to 21 pts per game for you to really stand a chance.