Would you like to be a happy stupid or an unhappy geniuis ?

Ainabla

Registered Member
I have noticed that one difference between being stupid and smart is that the stupid people are happy while the smart people are unhappy, live their life in sorrow. For example nietzsche is nominated as a genius but if you look at his biography you will see that he was a kind of sick,sad man. Stupid - happy Smart - unhappy. Are these related to which other? (Sorry for my english)

I think I'd rather be an unhappy genius than vice versa... I'd hate to be ignorant and stupid my whole life.
On the other hand, I spose as long as youre happy its all that matters... but how are we defining happy? You mean as in lots of bouts of the mood 'happy', or more like a life-long happiness/fulfilment?

Stupid - happy Smart - unhappy. Are these related to which other? (Sorry for my english)
Yeah, maybe. I guess if you're really not smart you might be ignorant, and ignorance is bliss, as they say. If you're smart you're more likely to be clued up about what really goes on in the world, and that can be depressing... I guess you are also more likely to think and analyse a lot, find out things you'd be better off knowing, seeing life for the mess that it really is, stuff like that...
I was about to say something else but it might offend some people so I'll keep my mouth shut. :lol:

Last edited:

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
I'm lucky as I'm smart and happy!!

I'd rather be smart and unhappy than stupid and happy.

Being ignorant would probably make me unhappy anyway. Having smarter people around me all day would end up getting me down so I'd rather be smart and unhappy.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
I have noticed that one difference between being stupid and smart is that the stupid people are happy while the smart people are unhappy, live their life in sorrow. For example nietzsche is nominated as a genius but if you look at his biography you will see that he was a kind of sick,sad man. Stupid - happy Smart - unhappy. Are these related to which other? (Sorry for my english)
I think it depends on our level of understanding. With genius, one can be happy in his or her mind, but to many people, this can be far from obvious, and in-fact can seem the opposite, whereas if he or she were put in a situation where he or she had to endure what others might class as fun, then he or she might feel uncomfortable and hate it. 'Stupid' or 'people that lack intelligence' might find humour comes to them in a different way, and is perhaps easier or more natural to express. When faced with situations they don't understand, they often will not see or understand the humour in it.

If I was an unhappy genius, I wouldn't like it, and I might even seek help.
If I was unintelligent and was unhappy with that, again, I would not like the situation, and might seek help if I knew how.
If I was a genius and happy, then I would like the situation I am in, and again, if I lacked intelligence, and I was happy with that, then that would be ideal enough for me.

In short, your intelligence or lack-thereof does not matter; if you are happy, then you are happy. If you are sad, then you are sad.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Being happy and being genius/smart are not mutually exclusive. You can be happy and still be smart; in the same way you can be an unhappy idiot.

But for the sake of your initial question, I would prefer to be an unhappy genius. Maybe I'll have that much brainpower to make myself think I'm happy even when I'm not.

RATTIE

Registered Member
A friend once asked me, in all innocence, why do I get depressed?
My quick answer was:
''Because of my supreme intelligence the weight of the world is upon my shoulders''. :lol:

I do think though in all probability there is a general link.

Probably more so with comedians, Spike Milligan and Stephen Fry spring to mind.

Ainabla

Registered Member
Please don't confuse smart people with genius. Genius are them who make the difference. The people who can see what others can't. The people who spend their days standing alone and thinking, thinking. People that cannot be understood by others. People who discover things that is very difficult to understand "how they got it" even after 100 years by normals. An perfect example is nietzsche, Artur schopenhauer.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
If you were to be stupid and happy, you'd eventually be turned into a sad smart person by a sad smart person. A child is someone who is happy and stupid, and no one remains a child. Smart peoples would show you the error of your ways and basically destroy your innocence and ignorance. They'd show you the "truths" of the world, and you'd see, learn and become sad and miserable once you understand them. Everyone isn't the same though. Their ability to learn and understand is different, so people are sad on different levels.

I wouldn't say genius because that doesn't cover enough people, but I think intelligent people provide the same effect.