Would you help a wild animal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bliss, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Recently I've been watching a lot of David Attenborough's documentaries where they film wild animals. They'll show you the life of certain creatures and often follow them to share their story with the viewers. One of the things that was hard for me to watch was starving animals that were really struggling to find food. A story of lions in particular where many of the cubs were left behind and they filmed this. They were very thin and didn't have the energy to carry on so the rest of the lionesses/cubs went on without them.
    They have stated that they don't like to intervene with nature - no matter what the situation. It has been hard for them to film, especially when they can see an animal is slowly dying. It just upset me to watch because I would have wanted to help them - even if it was just to give them food.

My question to you is this - if you were filming a documentary on wild animals and saw one was hurt/hungry/dying etc, would you help it or leave it and let nature run its course?

2. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

I'm sorry to say that I would just leave it. Unless I wanted a new pet.
    If you step in and help the animal then you have thrown their way off balance. It sucks and it is a hard to watch thing but by helping it out you have removed the nature element and replaced it with man and in the long run that is not good for the animal.

I for one could not do that job. i would want to help or take them home and add them to my little zoo.

Nixola and Bananas like this.
  3. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

Being a country boy, I'm a bit desensitized to animal death. If there's a skunk or wild animal attacking our horses or something, we have to kill it. It's just the way things are. So I were to see something like what you described above, sure, I'd feel a bit saddened, and tempted to feed the little critter. But then also, I'd think logically too. In order to help the little guy, I'd have to feed him over and over and over. He wouldn't be able to rejoin his pride anyhow, because he'd be humanized. And so now I'd be responsible for the thing, and how am I gonna take care of a lion?

Letting nature take it's course is the best way to do things. Nature knows what it's doing. That little cub dying means that any of the other cubs and the rest of the adults will have enough food. They'll survive to the next year and hopefully food is in greater supply then so that they can keep more cubs etc etc.

Nixola and Bananas like this.
  4. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

As moving as it is, nature can be cruel. Filming a documentary and this happened I'd let nature take it's course. Now if were an abandoned pet I'd try to help it.

Bananas likes this.
  5. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

I would really want to help it and would feel awful if I didn't but I would have to say that I wouldn't step in and help it, because that is upsetting the balance of nature and it's the way things are ment to be.

Bananas likes this.
  6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Reminds me of the Kevin Carter story.

It is a difficult call to make, sometimes we have to let nature run its course.

Nixola likes this.
  7. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I remember that Kevin Carter story. I believe the original version of the story more.. not where some guy says he actually took the picture and Carter just took it off him.. or that he picked up the kid and put her in front of the Vulture for the picture.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Nature has to run it's course. Not to mention, they're wild animals, there's no guarantee they'll be grateful for your help.

9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

If you're out there in the middle of nowhere there's really not much you can do. Chances are if you tried to help it it would try to attack you anyway and you'd risk getting hurt.

Animals have instincts that keep them fighting for their lives up until the point that they can't move anymore. Unless it was literally at death's door, it would probably put up a bit of a fight and you wouldn't get anywhere anyway.

10. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I'm talking about a lion cub that is on the verge of death. It can't even hunt for food as it's not old enough. None of you would want to try and help it if you were there at the time and you had meat?
    It was so thin you could see its bones. The man filming said it was the thinnest cub he had ever seen.