Would you go to the funeral

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
of someone you care about even if his/her family hates you (i.e., your presence will surely upset them)?

padd

Registered Member
Yeah I'd go in respect for that friend. If the family hates me to bad, anyways in a matter of life and death.. who cares if they hate me or I hate them.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would make an appearance, even if the family doesn't like me at all, I would still like to pay my respect to that friend that just passed away. But if I knew they didn't like me, I would just try to stay in the back, and make sure they dont see me. Then leave when it's over.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yes, I would go, because I'm sure the person I cared about would have wanted me there. If the family is upset by my presence and makes a big deal about it, then they'd be the ones being disrespectful.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I was told that funerals are for the living. It's supposed to comfort the grieving family left and that if your presence does the opposite thing, then better pay your respects in another form. However, even if that is the case, I'm part of the "living" that needs comfort and closure, not just the family, and I probably would regret it if I didn't go see my friend when I could (even if it's just a dead body).

My friend wouldn't know if I was there or not, so no, I wouldn't go.
I prefer saying goodbye in private, not in a room full of people, most of which are only there for show.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Only on one condition. If the person got a crack up out of the fact that everytime I was around he/she's family they got pissed. That way it would be like a last hooraw for the little act of mischief.

other than that... nah, I would definitely respect the family and probably just visit the grave site some other time to pay my respects.

Lithium

Registered Member
I'd go, because I care. and I'd hope that the family could understand that much. They don't have to like me, no one does. There are many ways to say good-bye, and I can say it in private and there. But at the very least, the family can't say I never cared about their child/parents/whatever. It's not my fault (generally) if someone doesn't like me for me. What matters to me is the person that I considered friend did or does.