• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Would You Give Away Your Kidney??

Dabs

Registered Member
Or any other part of your body, if it's an organ that you don't need for your own survival??
For instance, someone needs a kidney, badly....but they're not a family relative or a friend, maybe just someone you were introduced to.
They are in need of a kidney to stay alive and you found out you were a match....would you consider giving this practically total stranger, one of your kidneys??
I know a lot of people are for organ donation, in the event of their death.
But how are your feelings on this, donating....giving away...organs while you are still alive??

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I don't think that there's any single organ in our body that is not needed for our own survival. Every little thing counts when it comes to the way our body works.
I'm not sure if I could give any organ away because I could feel the consequences after a few years so I don't know if I would be able to take that risk.

Maybe in extreme occasions which don't come to my mind right now.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I would do it for someone in my family, but not for a stranger or someone I just met. Being healthy for my daughter is a higher priority, and all surgeries have risks associated with them. Live organ donation is benevolent, but not my primary duty.
------
I don't think that there's any single organ in our body that is not needed for our own survival. Every little thing counts when it comes to the way our body works.
I'm not sure if I could give any organ away because I could feel the consequences after a few years so I don't know if I would be able to take that risk.

Maybe in extreme occasions which don't come to my mind right now.
You can survive with only one functional kidney, or with part of your liver missing. There are some redundancies in the human body.

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
And you can survive with only one lung....but I don't think I'd wanna give that up.
A kidney....yeah, I might consider that.
But I couldn't donate anything, I have too much going on in my body...but it would be nice to help out another someone, help them survive~

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
actually I donate blood regularly. It's something that most people can do safely and relatively easily to help save lives.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I had a kidney transplant almost a year ago, on December 31st of last year. Before that, I was an organ donor in regards to my driver's license. If I had better health I'd be glad to donate if needed.

Those of us on the other side that need organ donation greatly appreciate those that are willing to help.

And just to back Jeanie up, you can function just fine with one working Kidney. The one transplanted is the only one that works for me (the two functioning basically run on fumes, if they run at all lol) and my bloodwork results are doing just fine.

Dabs

Registered Member
I had a kidney transplant almost a year ago, on December 31st of last year. Before that, I was an organ donor in regards to my driver's license. If I had better health I'd be glad to donate if needed.

Those of us on the other side that need organ donation greatly appreciate those that are willing to help.

And just to back Jeanie up, you can function just fine with one working Kidney. The one transplanted is the only one that works for me (the two functioning basically run on fumes, if they run at all lol) and my bloodwork results are doing just fine.

That is awesome news Unity!
Great to hear stories like yours...it shows the right medical procedures can work..and do! :)
I have personally never met anyone who has had a kidney transplant, but I have read stories in the newspapers and on the news.....

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Yeah I know about the kidney. My cousins has been living with just one for many years but still there's an important organ missing in his body. I mean each organ has its importance.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Yeah I know about the kidney. My cousins has been living with just one for many years but still there's an important organ missing in his body. I mean each organ has its importance.
Right, but the one kidney is filling the importance gap on its own.

I understand your point, though, It's not like I didn't wish I had two perfect kidneys working. I'm sure I'd be better off, but I'm good enough this way.

Dabs

Registered Member
Right, but the one kidney is filling the importance gap on its own.

I understand your point, though, It's not like I didn't wish I had two perfect kidneys working. I'm sure I'd be better off, but I'm good enough this way.
And also what's important, is your attitude and your outlook about your ordeal.....that's important too, and you seem to be doing a great job.....kudos to you :)