• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Would you get married on Leap Day?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was reading an article in the newspaper here and it was talking about popular dates that people will most likely get married on next year. This year's big one was obviously 07/07/07 (Saturday), and also 05/06/07 (Sunday). Next year they predicted 08/08/08 to be another big one (a Friday) as well as 06/07/08 (Saturday).

Interestingly enough they also said that there is a good chance that a lot of people will want to get married on 02/29/08, a Friday, but, also LEAP DAY. Is it just me or does it seem like this would rarely be something both people wanted? An anniversary only every 4 years? Not bad. I doubt that would go over too well with the girl though.

What do you think? Would you do it? If you are already married then just ask yourself if you would have done if it it had been an option.

I would not personally. Too annoying dealing with that every 4 years stuff.

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
no way would I have done it.

seems like that was a guys idea. Since guys have so much trouble remembering that particular day anyway. Seems like it gives them a good excuse..."oh I'm sorry honey, is it our anniverssary already???? wow where did the time go?I thought I had another 2 years"

:nod:

CaliforniaSteve

Registered Member
If I was with someone who would go for it then I would.

I'm not a big fan of anniversaries. I don't see why you cannot celebrate your relationship more than once a year. Also, it would make the anniversary more memorable and meaningful, considering it would only come every 4 years.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
I'm with Steve on this one. I've been married 12 years and can't recall a time we've ever made a big deal out of our anniversary.
Getting a little sappy here but...when you find "the one" every day is a celebration.:)
And to answer the original question, yes, I would get married on leap day.

maledoro

Strange Visitor
Here's a neat article I found:

There is a quaint tradition that women may make a proposal of marriage to men only on February 29; this is a tightening of an older tradition that such proposals may only occur in leap years. There is a tradition that in 1288 the Scottish parliament under Queen Margaret legislated that any woman could propose in Leap Year. However few parliament records of that time exist, and none concern February 29. Another component of this tradition was that if the man rejects the proposal, he should soften the blow by providing a kiss, one pound currency and a pair of gloves (some later sources say a silk gown). There were similar notions in France and Switzerland.
February 29 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
That article doesn't make much sense with modern times though. Technically there are no laws against a woman proposing to a man. It's not common but hey it could happen.

Now that man would feel pretty dumb if he waited long enough for the girl to have to do it herself though.

maledoro

Strange Visitor
I said it was "neat", not sensible.

And, yes, the man should get off his butt and go after her if he truly desires her.

(That said, it should be pointed out that I'm the reason why the restraining order was invented.)

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Tradition says you celebrate birthdays and anniversaries on the day before or the day after Leap Day. I had a ex that actually had it, and her birthday became the day before.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wouldn't it legally be the day after though? I mean if it's the 28th of February and your birthday is the 29th, and you are 20 years old, will you be able to buy alcohol? I doubt it. I think you would have to wait the extra day.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm not too sure how it works legally, to be honest, I just know she celebrated it the day before.