• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Would you forgive Shawn?

viLky

ykLiv
Source: -- Rajah.com -- WWE News, Rumors, Results & InformationDwayne "The Rock" Johnson & Shawn Michaels Cross Paths

It's worth noting that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Shawn Michaels, who long harbored animosity towards each other, crossed paths during WrestleMania weekend. WWE.com published a photo of Johnson and Michaels sharing a laugh shortly after HBK had appeared on stage at WrestleMania XXVII to commemorate his induction into the WWE Hall of Fame. According to F4WOnline.com, their past animosity was actually settled in 2008 when Johnson inducted his father, Rocky Johnson, and grandfather, High Chief Peter Maivia, into the WWE Hall of Fame.

Johnson's issues with Michaels dated back to when he was a teenager. He long harbored animosity towards Michaels because he felt he was disrespectful to his maternal grandmother (Lia Maivia) at a wrestling show she was coordinating for Polynesian Pacific Pro Wrestling. His disrespect towards her incensed Johnson, and nearly led to an altercation.

Their issues persisted several years later when Johnson was a rookie starting out in WWE. Bret Hart wrote in his 2007 autobiography, Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling, that Michaels and Triple H disliked Johnson "intensely." Both resented him because he was talented and Hart, a political foe, had taken a shine to him. Many believe they were out to sabotage Johnson so that Hunter would ascend to the top before him, since they were both viewed as the future of the company at the time.

Michaels and Hunter conspired to obstruct Johnson's push in March 1997, who was the Intercontinental Champion at the time. Michaels suggested to Vince McMahon that Johnson lose the title to Hart on an episode of Raw. Meanwhile, Hunter insisted to Hart that he beat Johnson. Their suggestion would serve two purposes — sabotage Johnson's push and take Hart out of the world title scene. Hart, however, refused to beat Johnson. Hart felt it wouldn't build heat for his newly launched heel turn, not to mention that it would undermine Johnson. Instead, Hart insisted on a DQ finish, which infuriated Michaels and Hunter.

By 1999, Johnson had ascended to the top of WWE, going beyond nearly wrestler, including Hunter. Meanwhile, a back injury had forced Michaels to retire and he was relegated to sporadic appearances. Nonetheless, Michaels attempted to politically undermine Johnson by lobbying to McMahon that he be replaced by Hunter in the main event at WrestleMania XV. His suggestion fell on deaf ears.

Johnson stated years later in a 2005 interview with WWE.com that he never had interest in working with Michaels — when asked if he would have liked to.
If you were The Rock would you forgive Shawn? The guy tried to ruin The Rock's career by playing backstage politics.

Also to mention, I think the real WrestleMania dream match would be The Rock vs HBK instead of The Rock vs Cena. Would be nice to see these two over sellers in a match. ^.~

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I would. The push did happen, and The Rock moved on to become one of the best of all time. I would have been a real man and moved on to forgive him.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I didn't know about this history between The Rock and Hunter/Shawn; I always enjoyed Rock/HHH feuds especially, so I guess I didn't expect there to be problems backstage because the matches went over so well. I'm interested in hearing from Millz and Bizz about this.

This question is really based on the poster's personality; I'd forgive HBK for sure. Shawn had issues with his attitude/substance abuse in the past, and his interactions with people did suffer. I'm not surprised (if this is all legit) that Rock would have been pissed from an interaction Shawn had with his Mom, but I'm not surprised that they're able to bury the hatchet.

viLky

ykLiv
I'm not surprised (if this is all legit)
Aye, I just want to clarify this is from Rajah. I don't know how legit they are, or how legit the heat between The Rock and HBK was/is. Take that into consideration... or don't. Whatever. 8D

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
for a rumor site, Rajah has a good reputation.

If I can kind of add another dimension to this thread, would you forgive Shawn if you were in Bret Hart's shoes? We all know it took him a long time but that he did. Would you?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Rock has said publicity that he did not like Shawn Michaels and he would never come back and wrestle him. This was in the mid 2000's. So the heat is very very real.

As far as forgiving Shawn I absolutely would. Unity said it best in what HBK was dealing with back then. He's a completely different person now days then he was back then. Shit happens.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
A little off-topic, but I know there's a lot of heat with Hurricane Helms over his trash talking of HBK. This thread reminds me of that, in that you never know what a wrestler that might generally be a good guy/woman is going through or what they have experienced backstage. I, for one, didn't know about this with Rock and Shawn. Or at least I didn't remember. Point being, we can't know what Shawn may have said/done in the presence of Helms.

Do you guys think that Shawn will (or already has) forgiven Helms? I'm sure he's heard about what he's said, and it was pretty personal stuff in claiming that his faith was B.S. and a front. And in keeping with the theme, would you?

Haha we could do this for a lot of backstage stories, couldn't we?

Good thread idea by viLky.

viLky

ykLiv
My thoughts about if I was The Rock would I forgive HBK is still in debate. It's fresh to me since I wasn't aware of any legit hate between them until this story popped up. I still need to let it marinate in my brain for a bit before I can give an answer to the question. I can answer this now in the meantime:

If I can kind of add another dimension to this thread, would you forgive Shawn if you were in Bret Hart's shoes? We all know it took him a long time but that he did. Would you?
Yes. Yes not only for the reason that you guys gave about Shawn being a different person now, but because I didn't necessarily feel that Shawn was all to blame in that situation. I felt Triple H, Vince and even Bret all had something to do with that doing down. And, that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

The Rock has said publicity that he did not like Shawn Michaels and he would never come back and wrestle him. This was in the mid 2000's. So the heat is very very real.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this happening.

A little off-topic, but I know there's a lot of heat with Hurricane Helms over his trash talking of HBK. This thread reminds me of that, in that you never know what a wrestler that might generally be a good guy/woman is going through or what they have experienced backstage. I, for one, didn't know about this with Rock and Shawn. Or at least I didn't remember. Point being, we can't know what Shawn may have said/done in the presence of Helms.

Do you guys think that Shawn will (or already has) forgiven Helms? I'm sure he's heard about what he's said, and it was pretty personal stuff in claiming that his faith was B.S. and a front. And in keeping with the theme, would you?
Ohhh, I think I faintly remembered this. Sounds familiar.

Well, to answer the question, with HBK being reborn again, I think he would. Current HBK doesn't seem all that strung up or one to hold grudges. He seems like that kind old man who is finally calmed down in life.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I knew about the heat between Shawn and The Rock for a while now. It was a pretty hot topic in the 2000's like Millz mentioned.

That said, this shouldn't surprise anyone, and The Rock isn't the only wrestler that The Kliq tried to ruin there careers. They mostly looked out for themselves.

Another example is that Shawn Michaels didn't want to put Stone Cold over this one time, so Undertaker threaten to beat the crap out of him if he didn't. Well guess what, he put him over that night.

There's a reason why Shawn was/is hated by some many current and past wrestlers. Why do you think HHH was the only wrestler to come out during his retirement speech? There as to be a reason.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I knew about the heat between Shawn and The Rock for a while now. It was a pretty hot topic in the 2000's like Millz mentioned.

That said, this shouldn't surprise anyone, and The Rock isn't the only wrestler that The Kliq tried to ruin there careers. They mostly looked out for themselves.

Another example is that Shawn Michaels didn't want to put Stone Cold over this one time, so Undertaker threaten to beat the crap out of him if he didn't. Well guess what, he put him over that night.

There's a reason why Shawn was/is hated by some many current and past wrestlers. Why do you think HHH was the only wrestler to come out during his retirement speech? There as to be a reason.
I believe the Austin/HBK situation would have been Wrestlemania 14 when Austin won his first WWE title.

Shawn was in a baaaaad way at that time both mentally and physically. Obviously physically his back was absolutely destroyed and I wouldn't wanna wrestle either but there's no question drugs and alcohol also played a role. I can't even imagine what would have happened if HBK didn't put Austin over that night.

There are so many stories like that with Shawn but thankfully he's improved his character but I'm sure he burned a lot of bridges.