• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Would you ever date a friend's ex?

Bliss

Sally Twit
There is a lady who works for the same company as me and her ex boyfriend also works there. They were together for ten years and split up last year because she cheated on him. Anyway, things are pretty awkward between them now but they do still speak.
Her best friend (who also works at my company) is now in a relationship with her ex boyfriend. Of course the two ladies are no longer friends. However, they were still friends to begin with but I guess it became too difficult.

Nobody likes the woman that is now dating the guy. They had only been split up for a month or so before they the other woman got together with her ex.

Personally I'd never do it. I just wondered if there was anyone here that would. Or maybe you already have?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's an unspoken agreement with friends where you do not date your friend's ex bf or gf; that is something I definitely follow. I would never even think to date one of my friends ex's and I would hope they would do the same for me. Talk about weird situations.

Impact

V.I.P.
My friends always seemed to want to date my exes. I can't even count the number of times I've had a friend ask me if i'm okay with them dating someone I used to, seriously, it's kinda funny. I didn't generally have an issue with it, most of my high school break ups were on good terms. I don't think I could do it myself though. It would be weird, knowing said person had slept with one of my friends, especially if they were a close friend. I did date 3 guys that were best friends once, but that's kinda a different thing...

Konshentz

Konshentz
I would never date a friend's ex, that's totally fucked up in my book. I would hope my friends feel the same way, but unfortunately, I'm pretty sure there's one of them that would do it.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
No, I never would. That happened to my sister, actually. Her friend's ex-husband was doing some computer work for her, and they started flirting and what-not (the divorce was amicable and they were still friends). My sister told her friend what was going on because it was the right thing to do, and the friend gave her blessing. Her exact words were "if you and [M] think you could be happy together, then go for it. I don't have a problem with that". Needless to say it was a lie and they are no longer friends. :-/ Actually they recently made up but the friendship will never be what it once was.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I think it depends on the circumstances; how close my friend and the ex were (a couple dates VS a couple years), the reason for the split/whether things were on friendly terms, my friend's personality, etc.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I would marry one. :lol:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's all in the variables.

My ex whom I dated for 3 years dated my best friend for about three months almost two years before we started dating. I made sure to ask him and make sure nothing would bother him and he was sincere. Nothing ever happened between him and I during the relationship and things were fine for us. I also know that he did not have a lot of emotion invested in her because it was so short, so once again, that's a variable at play.

It's all about your ability to judge such things.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I don't think I would ever do that.
When I was younger, I liked a guy a guy who then, dated my best friend at the time. While she knew I liked him, she dated him and got into a relationship with him.
It wasn't a big problem to be honest because it wasn't fair of me to prevent those two from dating each other.
Their relationship lasted for about 8 months. During that time I used to watch every his move with her, every thing and the way he acted.

1 year after their break up he wanted to date me. Obviously I rejected him without thinking twice. Actually, I wasn't thinking about my friend when rejecting him, I was thinking about the fact that it was disgusting the image of him [in my head], kissing/caressing her. Just as he used to caress her, he would caress me and so on.

If all this happened in different circumstances, if I hadn't watched those two during their relationship, I would think about my friend getting hurt for dating her ex so I still wouldn't date him.

So, in any circumstances, I wouldn't date the ex of my friend.