Would you ever convert?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Mirage, Feb 11, 2010.

?

Would you ever convert?

1. I would be tortured or even be killed for my beliefs. / I will never convert.

46.2%
  2. I would convert if I saw solid evidence with my own eyes.

15.4%
  3. I would convert based on a close friend's eye witness account.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I would convert if something else made more sense to me without seeing direct evidence.

23.1%
  5. I would convert if close friends or family converted.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I would convert if my life or safety depended on it.

15.4%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

A lot of people are in many different places in regards to what they believe. Where are you and how open are you to other beliefs? How secure are you in what you believe? For the sake of the poll I will break this down into a few options:

1. I would be tortured or even be killed for my beliefs. / I will never convert.
    2. I would convert if I saw solid evidence with my own eyes.
    3. I would convert based on a close friend's eye witness account.
    4. I would convert if something else made more sense to me without seeing direct evidence.
    5. I would convert if close friends or family converted.
    6. I would convert if my life or safety depended on it.

I believe these categories cover the majority of cases. If you think I should add another then let me know.

2. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I would convert if my life or safety depended on it.
    I'm not secure in what i believe in. As i've said before, i'm technically a Muslim but i don't feel for this religion ...or any other religion. i just believe in God and that's enough for me.
    when i was younger, i wanted to convert into a Christian, i loved keeping the cross-necklace , i liked going to the church but then i got disinterested in these as well.
    so i would convert only if it changed my life for better or if i felt safer.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  3. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I chose the first option, to endure torture and death for my beliefs is the highest form to sanctify God.
    This is what I would choose on a personal/individual level.
    If this concept of convert or die be on a global scale that would affect the lives of all my people then there is an importance to make sure you live and not die and make a conversion for the eyes of the world, but secretly never let go of our beliefs.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    CaptainObvious likes this.
  4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I can't explain my position any better than this, very well said. I chose the first option as well.

5. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I don't understand conversion for any reason other than because you come to the decision yourself based on your own 'evidence'. How can you change your entire belief system for any other reason than this? Nobody can torture you to the point of converting within yourself, I don't get it. Unless you mean just on the surface? If so, then I'd rather stay alive and pretend to be Christian than die for my agnostic beliefs. I suppose this whole thing doesn't really work in my case. :shifteyes:

6. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

yeah ... i don't understand this type of sacrifice. what would i choose to torture myself??
    after all, religion is about the same thing: We believe in God. there is just one God for us all. does it really matter what name we put on Him? does it matter what name we put to our beliefs?
    is it worthy to torture yourself for a phenomenon[such as religion] that was created by humanity! do we allow the very humans to torture us?
    At the end, we're going to die... but torturing ourselves earlier in time won't help much. For what? for something that was said in Q'ur'an or Bible which were written by man's hand imposing you what to think, say, how to act in YOUR life.??
    why is it so helpful to be faithful to such books...when they talk about the same stuff..and to think that you want to torture yourself for some different sentences each book has...while they both mean the same thing.

7. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

This poll should really be multiple choice; anyway, I'd have absolutely no issue with pretending to be religious to protect the safety of myself and my family/friends. Even if I had severe religious convictions, I wouldn't take God to be an idiot --> He'd understand my reasons for doing what I had to do.

I'd also convert if I saw solid evidence with my own eyes, but that's kind of a given, really...

8. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

- You forgot one:

7. I can't convert.

9. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

I think in your case he means "convert away" to a different religion than your own.

10. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

- I realize this, but do not retract my statement.