Would you donate your body to science?

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by AngelsPeak, Aug 10, 2008.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I'll start by saying "no way." The reason? During one of my clinicals I had the opportunity to view a corpse in all of it's naked glory.
    I'd love to be able to say I handled it in a mature manner without judging. Unfortuately I can't. I noticed every flaw and couldn't help but look and think "if you only knew."
    I just cannot imagine the thought of being displayed, touched, handled in such a public manner, even if I am dead.
    Would you be able to sign your corpse over for the sake of science?

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

See what I mean when I say you post these type of threads? :lol:

Maybe. When we die, we have no choice (most of the time) but to lie naked anyway in the mortuary for other people to fix us, whether for burial or cremation. Who knows what they're saying about us then or how many people are in there "studying" us (*thinks of Six Feet Under episodes*).

3. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Not for me because there won't be much left after the donations. A body without organs is no good for medical science. My remains will be cremated.

4. barbiegirl14

barbiegirl14 Registered Member

When I get my liscence I get to put on them if I want this or not... I'm going to put that I'm a doner... I think people respect that more. :)

As for me careing what they do with my body... I dont plan to die :p

5. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

It just seems like (or I prefer to hope) that your remains would be treated with more respect if they were being prepared for burial rather than a science lab.
    ------
    I think you misunderstood the question. I didn't ask about organ donation.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

You're probably right. Maybe in the mortuary they will still see you as a person (even if you're dead) rather than just a piece of body to dissect, like in a science lab.

7. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

I'll do alot of strange things but I don't think I would donate my body to science. I think I have been poked and prodded enough in my life that I don't want the same in my after life. Sorry, i'm gonna be cremated and turned into a artificial reef.

But if I did let them use my body, they trip out on all the screws, pins, rods and plates I have inside my body.[SARCASM] Thank you Mr Drunk Driver[/SARCASM]

8. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I would like to always hope this is true too. Unfortunately there are cases of well... necrophillia and theft. Sure not every mortuary is going to do this though.

It is human nature to judge, but I suppose that the mortician has seen so many bodies that we would hope they wouldn't pass judgement. It seems sort of like going to the doctors office while living, they have seen so many naked bodies that you would think its just a natural thing, but there have been studies where doctors admit they can't help but think "wow, this person is fat.." or whatever in their head.

I know I was fascinated by the cadaver lab, but no I don't think I would want to donate my body to science. At that point I am not worried of what people think of me.. its just more what the heck that would happen to me. I know everything that is done to cadavers has to follow guidelines of respect, but I just don't really want some crazy experiment to be done on me and have my body mutilated in the name of science.

I would rather participates in studies while alive.

9. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

I would rather know if I'm being tested. If I'm lying on the slab just let me rest in peace.

10. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I plan to donate everything, from organs to corneas to whatever the hell they can take, followed by a green burial so whatever's left can fertilize the world.

I can see the use in donating it to science, however I find donation to have more practical use to humanity.