• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Would you date an ex-criminal?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
If you suddenly know your partner was a criminal, how would you react?
If you know someone was a criminal would you consider dating them?

To me, the past of a person is very important because it can also define the future.
He who has had criminal signs in the past, though treated, could make those signs appear again someday. I don't think a person can ever change his essence.

viLky

ykLiv
First and foremost it depends on what she was busted for. Not only that, but the details behind the case. I wouldn't want to rush to judgment on her is she was busted for drug possession and it ended up being pot.

For the most part I wouldn't care. If it ends up bad I'll just be like "Damn girl, you crazy!" and leave. Maybe it's less difficult for a guy than a girl in this situation?

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
If you suddenly know your partner was a criminal, how would you react?
If you know someone was a criminal would you consider dating them?

To me, the past of a person is very important because it can also define the future.
He who has had criminal signs in the past, though treated, could make those signs appear again someday. I don't think a person can ever change his essence.
Obviously it depends on what it was. There's a good chance that even if I was able to completely overlook the crime, there would be damage to my trust if I suddenly found out.

I'd consider dating the person depending on a myriad of factors.

I agree that a person's past is very important, but I also know people can change. Even to the core. It's rare, but it can happen.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think the overwhelming answer is "it depends on the crime".

I don't think many people would say no immediately.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Even to the core. It's rare, but it can happen.
As I said, I don't believe this can happen. Supposing I commit a crime.It's because I am able to do it, I want to do it and I can do it.
Deep down inside of me, I find nothing wrong with it and even if I know it's wrong, I still don't care.
It's in my blood/nature to do such things, no matter how many treatments I get. All of them would help me just temporarily.
If I get the first chance to do something wrong, I will take advantage of it.
I can't escape the real me.

Bliss

Sally Twit
If I was already dating him then it would depend on the crime. If I loved him that is. If we'd only just got together then I'd break it off

I would never date someone who I knew was a criminal. It wouldn't matter what they had done. I don't agree with breaking any law and I wouldn't want to feel ashamed of introducing someone to my family.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I would never date someone who I knew was a criminal. It wouldn't matter what they had done. I don't agree with breaking any law and I wouldn't want to feel ashamed of introducing someone to my family.
Are you being literal? Because there's plenty of petty crimes that still would make one a 'criminal' but I wouldn't imagine should make you ashamed of them. I mean, sure if you found out a potential date once got caught having sex with farm animals then yeah then I don't think many people would argue but you couldn't love a person for who they are without worrying about their past, even if it's not part of their present self?

Bliss

Sally Twit
Well the question was if they ARE a criminal. Not if they used to be. If they'd served time in jail for something serious then I doubt I'd be able to trust them.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Well the question was if they ARE a criminal..
Actually the question is "if they used to be" or "if you found out they were in the past ...but maybe not now .. ".
It's about how much a criminal past would influence on your relationship with him.

Bliss

Sally Twit
OK, well I read it wrong then.
Then I guess in both cases it would depend. But in all honesty I can't see myself being comfortable dating someone that served time in prison.

It's different if you've already been in a relationship for a long time and you're in love. You might say you'd break it off right away but I don't think it would be that easy.