Would you be your own guinea pig?

Would you be your own guinea pig?

• Total voters
If you had developed a medicinal potion that you were certain could cure some sort of devastating disease or illness, but couldn't get the government's backing to experiment on humans with it, would you resort to self experimentation?
There have been quite a few scientists who have resorted to just this, some with a great outcome and others with devastating results.

Knowing you could perish for your efforts, but still believing you had created something special, would you use yourself as the guinea pig?

Blueyes

Registered Member
If it worked on animal testing and they still wouldn't let me do human testing then yep I sure would because I've seen the research we do at our own hospital and it's well worth it.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
If I'm absolutely certain it would work and just to prove my point, I would. Of course it really has to be something important to actually risk my life (in case, well, shit happens).

photosaurusrex

Registered Member
you're only allowed to do human testing if its on yourself

so I guess you'd know the risks and the benefits etc

so if the benefits outweighed the risks, sure I'd do it

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
You know I would, Hell i'm already one for the new anti seizure medications out on the market and some still in the testing phases.

But I would rather test it on myself than anyone else, just incase of catastrophic failure or Mr Hyde syndrome.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
Sure! I would definitely be willing to take that risk for something I believed could help other people. As long as there would be someone to continue working on it if something bad were to happen with me.

TimmehD

Registered Member
Initially, the question seemed simple, but thinking about it, it's harder than that.

On one hand is death and the on the other hand is wealth and the fame of curing hundreds of thousands (Just for the sake of this scenario) people. Hm, I think that at that point, where I had put so much work and time and heart into this solution then I'd be devastated for it to never hit the medical market. As previously said, after extensive animal testing then I would probably try it under the close monitoring of medical staff as to increase my chances of survival (Stomach pump).

Good question.

Bliss

Sally Twit
No. Even if I was sure it'd work I'd still be scared incase I'd missed something. I could have an allergy to something and not know so I'd never test it on myself.

Bananas

Endangered Species
No chance. I would pay some poor unsuspecting fool to be the guinea pig for me.

If I had created the medicine then I would at least like to analyse the conclusion even if it goes horrifically wrong. I would prefer to devote my life to science rather than give my life to science.