Would this be constitutional?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by pro2A, Jan 24, 2009.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Obama wants to make guns "child proof". Basically requiring owners lock up their guns, or store them in a safe.

SCOTUS just ruled back in June that it defeats the purpose of self-defense if guns have to be locked up.

Would making this law be unconstitutional?

2. Grizzled_Bear

Grizzled_Bear Registered Member

Mandatory safe storage would be unconstitutional but I doubt that would give lawmakers much pause as it seems relatively reasonable. I mean you're not for killing children are you?

Obama doesn't clarify what he means by saying he wants to make all guns childproof. I'd just as easily assume that he means all newly manufactured firearms have to be "smart guns".

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

First off pro, link please? There's nothing to discuss if you don't have proof.

Also, I don't see how that could be unconstitutional, but I can see how it would make home protection quite difficult. I'd say keeping your guns locked in a sort of gun closet should be just fine and I highly doubt a criminal would be in your room so fast that you couldn't creep over and unlock a weapon.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

"Highly doubting" doesn't bring you back from the dead the one time you are panicked and don't remember your combination, or your flashlight doesn't work.

I'd be for this law as long as they found a way to make burglars keep their guns locked in a safe as well. Maybe they could bring the safe with them and they'd only be allowed to unlock it if the homeowner already had unlocked theirs. I think that would be fair. :rolleyes:

One thing I definitely disagree with is the so called fingerprint detection technology that has come up a few times. So you get killed or injured by a burglar and your wife grabs the gun to defend herself but it doesn't work because it was registered to YOUR fingerprint?

An overwhelming majority of guns are never used in crimes. It seems to me that Obama should focus on more important issues, like replacing the bowling alley in the White House with a basketball court.

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

If you're so frazzled that you cannot remember a combination or handle a flashlight, you probably would have ended up killing your family if you tried to fire a gun.

Just saying.

6. Mirage

I imagine you would be pretty nervous if somebody broke into your house with a gun. Even if you do remember it you might mess up the combination just because you are in a hurry.

Keeping a gun in a safe is like putting on your seatbelt a few seconds before you're in a car accident. In theory it would work, but in reality it's not practical or safe.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  7. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

I'd say it could be thought of as unconstitutional. Surely the right to "keep and bear arms" gives you the right to determine how you keep them. I don't think it necessary to make people lock up their guns, many people have their own tried and tested methods of storage that work just fine for them and their family. The irresponsible ones that let their kids get a hold of guns won't abide by these laws anyway.

Still, do you have a link to this possible new law?

8. Mirage

I'm sure the hidden intent of this law is to be able to press charges against parents who's kids take THEIR guns to school and shoot people.

Why not just say "You can be held liable if your kid takes your gun to school and shoots people" and let parents make the call for themselves? The percentage of kids who go on shooting rampages can't even be graphed if you take all kids into account. Clearly such a law would be overkill, no pun intended.

9. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Are people not viable for punishment for that anyways? under child endangerment? Negligence? or something along those lines...

But yeah, the law probably is just a back up. I mean, there's no way there's gonna be people coming into long time gun owner's houses checking everything is stored under a new set of gun storage regulations.

10. Mirage