Would Sarah Palin make a good President?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is a two part question.

As you know Palin wants to run for President, do you believe she would make a good President? If yes why, if no why?

2) Which female would you rather see President, her or Hilary Clinton? Reasons behind your answers.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
1. As respectful as I can put it: America would be better off with its head in a meat grinder than with her at the helm.

I do not dislike Sarah Palin for the "elitist" reasons most democrats or those on the left side of the political sandbox do. I don't care that she's a 'hockey mom' or that she's from Alaska or trips up on her words from time to time. All presidents do it. What truly and honestly bothers me about Palin is that she is a genuinely dense human being. Go ahead and call me rude, I can give you video of her reading answers off her palm during a pre-screened Q&A session. She is more of a conservative rock star than presidential candidate, an idol for a crippled party trying to find its identity once more, kind of like how Barack Obama really isn't presidential material, but is more of an idol as well.

Also, as with Barack and Dubya, I generally do not vote for those with such narrow views. Palin is strictly conservative, end of story. She doesn't seem to see any bit of ideas from the other side of the spectrum and pays little attention. I simply think that having Palin as a president would be a major step backwards in our country.

2. Absolutely not. Both of them are terrible choices. Palin as I mentioned above and Hillary because not only is she pro-censorship (an automatic loss in my book) but her politics just aren't strong.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
What Palin does is repeat talking points and nothing else. I have yet to hear her give an answer to a question that doesn't sound like it was a conclusion she reached herself based on research. She sounds like she's just regurgitating sound bytes which I can't respect, and isn't presidential.

Neither of them.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
What Palin does is repeat talking points and nothing else. I have yet to hear her give an answer to a question that doesn't sound like it was a conclusion she reached herself based on research. She sounds like she's just regurgitating sound bytes which I can't respect, and isn't presidential.

Neither of them.
That's actually quite a good way of putting it. I was thinking something similar but calling her a "puppet" didn't seem to do it when I was typing my response :lol:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's actually quite a good way of putting it. I was thinking something similar but calling her a "puppet" didn't seem to do it when I was typing my response :lol:
I think puppet describes her pretty well:lol: Truth be told she didn't do a bad job as Governor of Alaska, she did relatively well actually. I just don't think she necessarily translates well to the national stage, I want someone with more knowledge of what the nation needs and not someone who is restating what someone told her to say.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I disagree that she wants to run for president. She may, but I haven't heard or seen anything that would put her in the definite category, but maybe so - I just haven't seen it.

I agree that she cannot win in 2012. Her fault or not, she's too polarizing and that's not going to play coming on the heels of Bush's second term and Obama's term. Scott Brown is the type of candidate that will play in 2012. Someone who everybody likes even if they disagree with him.

However all that said, there is one huge thing Palin has. She was way ahead of the curve on energy independence and marring that to economic recovery. She was drill-baby-drill when 80% of the country was green-baby-green. She was way ahead of the curve on financial responsibility also. The practical things she did will play very well: selling the jet, firing the chef, giving up the governor's mansion, cutting taxes, cutting the budget, etc..

If a conservative gets the pick in 2012, I think Palin will land either Department of Interior or possibly VP. DOI is a perfect fit for Palin and if she can do well there, she will position herself for a 2020 run.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
aswasw,

How can you call her financially responsible after that incredible shopping spree she went on after receiving notice of her run for vice president with McCain?

Sim

Registered Member
What I've seen of her so far, especially during the campaign in 2008, doesn't make me think she's fit for the office of President (regardless of my disagreement with many of her stances). She seemed confused, gave answers that made her appear unprepared and over-extended, and lacking basic knowledge a President should have -- and even if it just seemed that way, because she wasn't used to the media attention, instead of that being a sign she indeed lacks education, that doesn't make a difference, because a President needs to be able to deal with extreme media attention.

She may have been a decent governor of Alaska, but Alaska is a very small state population-wise, and DC is an entirely different place. I have the impression this shoe would be a few numbers too big for her. Maybe she would make a decent secretary in a new government, though -- although I'd probably never vote for her because of her stances, unless the only other option was Lenin reincarnate.

I'm not a big Hillary fan, but she'd definitely be the lesser evil. At any rate, think of Hillary what you want, but nobody could say she doesn't have experience and balls (yes, balls -- which probably is why many guys don't like her). I may not agree with all of her stances, but definitely more than with those of Palin, and on top of that, Hillary has proven to be ready for federal politics.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Palin has not got the acumen, wisdom or the oratory skills to stand for the US on a global stage. She would need an astounding Secretary of State to represent her administration for the US to retain its credebility as influential.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
No, Palin would not make a good or even decent president, for all of the reasons already stated. She doesn't have an original thought in her head and is frankly not smart enough to hold the position.

I don't trust Hillary Clinton, either. She is not what she presents herself to be, but she would definitely be the lesser of two evils. If I had to choose a woman I'd like to see run for president, I'm partial to my own Senator, Debbie Stabenow. She is a Democrat with a backbone. Too bad she wouldn't be a viable candidate.