• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Would it Worry You if the U.S. Govt Bought Google?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Would you be worried if the U.S. government bought Google?

I would not approve of such a move for a variety of reasons. Google already has the power to pretty much be Big Brother of a huge amount of our lives. I'd like to keep such power in the private sector.

I'm a bit worried about the precedent set by the GM and bank "purchases" lately though. Combined with eminent domain, do you think the argument could be made in favor of the U.S. government buying a private company that did not want to be sold?

reenu

Registered Member
Muhuh.. :[ I would stop using gmail. And any of google's data storage tools. Or maybe I'd encrypt everything... ever. Then I'd start a 'secure email service' that automates the PGP process... Yeah. That's a plan.

BigBob

Registered Member
I wouldn't want it to happen. They'd block a ton of shit and would be taking away our freedom of speech.

I'll talk more later about it.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Yes it would for the reasons given. I would want it to be kept in the private sector, Google already has a Big Brother feel to it. I wouldn't keep an email address kept by the government.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Absolutely, it would scare the shit out of me. Google has so much information in its hands that it wouldn't surprise me if the government has already tried to obtain information from them.

Italiano

Film Elitist
I would hesitate to use Google every time after that. In fact I might boycott it. I get paranoid enough that they are viewing at what people are doing through other public nodes. The fact that they would own one of the biggest pubic search engines and could monitor what is filtered in and out makes me want to move to Bosnia.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I would hesitate to use Google every time after that. In fact I might boycott it. I get paranoid enough that they are viewing at what people are doing through other public nodes. The fact that they would own one of the biggest pubic search engines and could monitor what is filtered in and out makes me want to move to Bosnia.
I don't think you get the scope of the potential problems in terms of data access here. Google has tons and tons of information on people that goes beyond surfing habits. If the government owned Google, we'd be fucked and privacy would be a pleasant reminder of the past.

Arcadoc

Registered Member
Knowing the way this administration has handled businesses recently, they probably wouldn't bother "buying" Google, but find a way to just take it over.
And it would bother me tremendously, for a lot of the same reasons mentioned already.
Regardless, I'd stop using it altogether and find a different entity with which to search and surf.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The reason the government "bought" GM, as you put it, was because the auto industry is the biggest industry in this country and as such is cricitcal to the well-being of the economy. Google isn't even remotely close and there's no conceiveable reason that the governement would "buy" it.

Italiano

Film Elitist
I don't think you get the scope of the potential problems in terms of data access here. Google has tons and tons of information on people that goes beyond surfing habits. If the government owned Google, we'd be fucked and privacy would be a pleasant reminder of the past.
I do understand the magnitude and impact it would have. That's just another aspect of the situation. You already elaborated on the private and personal information Google has access to and how that could be accessed by Uncle Sam if they ever got their malevolent hands on it. Figured no use repeating what's already been said.

I'm also worried about how they could try to control the flow of information over the internet more effectively. If they had access to Google they could filter what they do and don't want the public to know or access, at least to an extent. Since Google also owns Youtube and many other subsidies of different companies they would have influence over all those as well.