• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Worst Year Ever – Top Five Disappointments of 2010

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't know how Christine O'Donnell was top of that list. She's under investigation for misuse of campaign funds, a crime she was suspected of towards the end of her campaign. Sounds like another solid politician right? Someone who will take your money and use it for themselves!

That Ground Zero Mosque was also another great example in the USA's history of incredibly stupid moments. It wasn't a mosque, it wasn't at ground zero, and those lies just gave the racists more reason to cry about Muslims.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I don't know how Christine O'Donnell was top of that list. She's under investigation for misuse of campaign funds, a crime she was suspected of towards the end of her campaign. Sounds like another solid politician right? Someone who will take your money and use it for themselves!

That Ground Zero Mosque was also another great example in the USA's history of incredibly stupid moments. It wasn't a mosque, it wasn't at ground zero, and those lies just gave the racists more reason to cry about Muslims.
Islam is not a race Cons...

To those who say were xenophobes... I simply ask where is the same level of compassion for rebuilding this church that was destroyed at Ground Zero?

Political Correctness is going to tear this country apart if it hasn't already.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
The ground zero mosque had nothing to do with compassion and everything to do with blinded bigotry. People saw Muslims and decided that since the terrorists were Muslim, the innocent ones who wanted their place of worship back shouldn't get it.

I also never said Islam was a race.

shelgarr

Registered Member
(Constantine....you did say that the "racist"s were crying about Muslims so that implies you are referring to it as a race)

As for the mosque....build it...whatever. But like anything, why choose a sensitive area (gee, aren't there a gazillion other blocks?) when its clear there will be others it will legitimately upset. It's not a surprise at all that people would react! Good lord.....3000 people killed in the worst attack ever. And who is it for anyone to point fingers at another and say "I demand that you not be upset". Yet, yet, yet...I am completely opposed to PC driven behavior and decision making. In this case it is used to dictate whether we have religious freedom in this country. But religious freedom should dictate that we have sympathetic compassion for one another in these situations.

Ok comments on the list. #5 Yes on government employee compensation.... all is a part of where we might find waste in spending. #4 No on police abuse their authority. I find they are under too much scrutiny to be effective anymore. #3Yes on legalizing marijuana. It's people's right even though I think it sucks to be stoned. #2 above. #1 Neutral on the Greene and ODonnell.

For my own list:
#5 Unemployment. It hit home for us in July after a combined 50 straight years in the workforce.
#4 Cell phone hands free driving requirements. Just one more rule and doesn't take into account I've been eating fast food for a trillion years with no problems.
#3 ACLUs lawsuit against CA schools to be "fee free". It means our taxes will go up because there is no budget to buy art or athletic supplies
#2 Federal lawsuit against AZ for immigration law
#1 Being banned from two websites this year.

Last edited:

Sim

Registered Member
The ground zero mosque had nothing to do with compassion and everything to do with blinded bigotry. People saw Muslims and decided that since the terrorists were Muslim, the innocent ones who wanted their place of worship back shouldn't get it.

I also never said Islam was a race.
Couldn't agree more.

Another top disappointment in the realm of politics for me was the success of German Muslim-hater Thilo Sarrazin's book and the according controversy in Germany which I made a posting about a while back. It happened around the same time when there was that mosque controversy in the US.

It seems in our times when the internet allows information to cross borders more easily, the nuts of many countries inspire each other. Just like the Muslim-hater mob in the US invited Dutch Muslim-hater Wilders, the according mob in Germany was inspired by similar events in America and other European countries and roared its ugly head.
------
Islam is not a race Cons...

To those who say were xenophobes...
As it looks to me, there is no other explanation than those were indeed xenophobes.

It's pretty simple: Either Muslims in general are terrorists or terrorist sympathizers, or they are not. Everybody in his right mind will have to answer "they are not", and when you don't, this means you are a stereotyping bigot. But once we agree they are not, there is no reason to deny many peaceful Muslims a legal place of worship, just because a few among them are criminals, right?

I simply ask where is the same level of compassion for rebuilding this church that was destroyed at Ground Zero?
[/quote]

I don't think there was an angry mob of Muslims inviting islamist hate preachers from overseas who held angry speeches against the construction of the church, closely followed and supported by FOX News and the right-wing blogosphere, and a 50%+ majority nation-wide opposing the construction of that church.

Apples and organges ...

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
If the objection to the ground zero mosque was rooted in prejudice then where is the outcry for ALL mosques being built? There's a mosque being built a few blocks from me. Guess what? No one gives a shit. To think it was ALL based on prejudice is sloppy thinking.