Worst Tourists

Discussion in 'Travel, Points & Rewards' started by ysabel, Jul 9, 2009.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Apparently, we make the top of the list. :lol: It's because we speak little English, come off as arrogant and we don't spend a lot (bad tourist customers).

Ah, there's a consolation. We come in 3rd as best dressed tourists.

I wish I can get a link to the entire survey. In other articles, they state that Americans are generous and more willing to absorb local culture. However they're also considered to be noisy tourists (I agree, btw because it's often what I observe here), along with the Italians and British.

So in your area, do you have some "generalisation" as to which groups of people make the worst tourists (be it local or international)?

2. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

Well, the Dutch aren't popular either.. they say we're noisy, don't have our kids under control (that's true :shake:), act rude, don't spend much, show no respect, etc. etc.

And we like to walk around with a bare chest.. and us males have no sense for fashion..

[​IMG]

They say English, American, Chinese and Germans also have a somewhat bad rep. But they can in no way compare to the Russians: rude, noisy, drunk.

I don't have much experience with tourists myself. The Germans come here more often and they behave well. The Polish people who work here also behave really well in their spare time (apart from a drunken dude every now and then :)).

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Locally, when I'm outside the region the Parisian visitors are often known for the bad driving habits. Each time there's a bad driver, they look at the plate and say "ah les parisiens!" (it must be true, haha).

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

To be fair, you frenchies do have a decent reason to be bad tourists seeing as you don't venture out much. Americans are a strange one for me, 'cos I can see how they'd be seen as both bad aand good. I've always heard that the British have very bad rep in europe, especially beachy places that students go on holiday.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

The Brits ranked 2nd globally as best tourists. However, I think it was at the bottom list in the ranking made by fellow Europeans for being the "worst behaved". Maybe you should just travel outside Europe, haha.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

My father, a very well and world traveled man, said the worst place he ever visited in terms of hospitality and kindness was France. Arrogance and rudeness was all he received. Obviously that's not all of France, but it was his four day experience there.

I can't say I've met a French tourist but coming off of what I've heard, I can't feel too surprised.

7. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

A lot depends on the location, that's true.
    The study said Dutch tourists are generally interested in local culture. I can see that being true for destinations outside Europe or not so common ones inside Europe, but the average Dutch family that visits the beaches of France and Spain is generally only interested in sun, beer and titties :shake:

8. ExecutiveChefMatt

ExecutiveChefMatt Registered Member

People from the North who come to the South and bitch about how we do things down here.

Seriously, you came here. So don't come to my restaurant and start complaining about how everything is done better up North. No one gives a flying fuck about how it is done "up nawth"

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

But he's meeting the French with him as the tourist, not them. It does raise an interesting question because now I wonder if best tourists automatically make best hosts too (and worst tourists make worst hosts). :hmm:

10. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

There's a tourist spot about and hour from where I live, so we get heaps of tourists come through my town. The worse ones in terms of annoyance would be the Japanese. They takes hundreds of pictures of everything, and even ask to take photos with you (creepy). They do spend quite a lot of money though so they're not bad in that way.

A couple months back we had a cruise ship come in with a lot of Americans on it. I didn't see or hear for myself, but a lot of people who talked to them said all the did was complain.