• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Worst Time Period to Live in?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
We've talked about historical time periods that we'd LIKE to live in before, but what about the ones you'd hate living in?

I think some of the worst time periods to live in would be (in this order)

1. Roman Empire, around the time of Julius Caesar
2. Ancient Egypt, around the time of Ramses
3. The Spanish Inquisition

I based my answers mostly on how bad it would be to be executed during those times. If you take all the execution methods used during those time periods you'll have some of the most unbearable pain possible.

Those time periods would also be very hard to live in if you have a tendency to be vocal about your disapproval of government ideas and policies. It usually didn't end well for those people. :shocked:

Thankfully we can state our opinions on issues and take part in the marketplace of ideas nowadays in a much more civil manner.

Malificus

Likes snow
We've talked about historical time periods that we'd LIKE to live in before, but what about the ones you'd hate living in?

I think some of the worst time periods to live in would be (in this order)

1. Roman Empire, around the time of Julius Caesar
2. Ancient Egypt, around the time of Ramses
3. The Spanish Inquisition

I based my answers mostly on how bad it would be to be executed during those times. If you take all the execution methods used during those time periods you'll have some of the most unbearable pain possible.

Those time periods would also be very hard to live in if you have a tendency to be vocal about your disapproval of government ideas and policies. It usually didn't end well for those people. :shocked:

Thankfully we can state our opinions on issues and take part in the marketplace of ideas nowadays in a much more civil manner.
so you're specifying based on location and having the past self actively making things harder? Why don't you just say 1941 Jew in Germany or something like that? At least then you aren't relying on the person actively trying to get killed.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
I think the Iceage would be worst.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
so you're specifying based on location and having the past self actively making things harder? Why don't you just say 1941 Jew in Germany or something like that? At least then you aren't relying on the person actively trying to get killed.
Lol, well it's not only that but if you look at those times in history, they were actually pretty brutal as a society in general.

FindMuck

Registered Member
Can't really say that I loved what I was born into, but World War Two or the Middle Ages under the Ottoman empire might have been slightly worse. As far as time and place a Jew in Germany in 1941 was probably pretty bad, or I guess being an African slave under a European Empire in the 15th century would have sucked too. I wouldn't really want to be Palestinian any time in the last 5 years or from the continent of Africa at any point in history. I like being in a peaceful place that doesn't have secret agendas or is ridden with corruption any time where the people are not represented or not in control of their lives would be hell on earth in my opinion.

Cacia

Registered Member
The Victorian period, they all just seem so stiff & restricted, all them high collars & frills & tight tight boned bodest thingys. Agh painful.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Any time prior to the present. The medieval ages were violent, people were impoverished, and the population seemed especially sadistic (e.g. slowly burning cats to death was considered a solid form of communal entertainment). Back in ancient Greece, there were several slaves for every citizen, so more likely than not, you would have been a slave if you lived back then. Life was especially hard in prehistorical Mesopotamia where people slaved away on fields and farms and died en masse from diseases given them by the livestock used in their newly sedentary lifestyle. Life as a hunter-gatherer consisted of constantly moving and scrounging up whatever food you could find, while being on a kill-or-be-killed basis with nearly everyone outside your family-band. Etc.

We have it good.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Worst Time Period to Live in?
Europe in the medieval period. You have the Great Famine of 1315-17 and if that did not get you then wait 30 years and you have the Black death to contend with. Whilst you wait its probably best to avoid the 100 Year war thats ravaging NW Europe and causing allsorts of civil unrest. It really was a horrible period.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
I'd also hate to live way back in the year 2525 when Time Travel was in fashion. It was sheer torture, they'd make us watch TV reruns of the 20th and 21st Century. :sick:

Wade8813

Registered Member
Europe in the medieval period. You have the Great Famine of 1315-17 and if that did not get you then wait 30 years and you have the Black death to contend with. Whilst you wait its probably best to avoid the 100 Year war thats ravaging NW Europe and causing allsorts of civil unrest. It really was a horrible period.
This is ~ what I was gonna say. Don't forget the Crusades...