Worst Things About Christians

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
What do you consider the worst things about Christians? The things that make you the most angry/annoyed with them. Perhaps the things that turns you off the most to them? Please explain your answer as well.

Anything goes in this thread. Feel free to take the gloves off reply with exactly what you are thinking.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Christians who go from one country to another to preach their religion.

I had a few christian friends who came to a language center over here, to practice English with us...and during the conversation they started talking about their Jesus and other ridiculous things which were irrelevant to what we were talking about.

Spooky

Registered Member
When people think their delusions deserve respect.
When people think you need to be "saved".
When people use god as an excuse for not taking responsibility.
When people judge other people because of their (blind) faith based beliefs.
When people hold back progress because they believe it's going against their religion.
When people hurt and kill other people because of their delusions.
When people brainwash their children because of their delusions.

There is more but that's off the top of my head

Bananas

Endangered Species
Arbitrary absolution. I've always found it demeaning and pretentious that I can be "free me from my sins" by the very people who call everyone sinful in the first place....gee thanks for that.

I also dislike how their divinity is an assumed objective truth. For example an atheist is considered to be someone who does not believe in God? ...whilst the real definition should be an atheist is some who does not believe in the belief of a God?

There are many other traits but these are not necessarily exclusive to Christianity.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Something tells me this thread should be titled "Thing Hybrix Wants to Know So He Can Bring Them Up Later In Another Discussion".

About Christians specifically? Nothing really. My problems lie with the majority of organized religion.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
As a Christian, I find that the one thing that bothers me about other Christians is some of their over-zealous conservative feelings. These conservative Christians are the ones that are hardcore anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage. They tend to get on my nerves. Sadly, my own pastor is one of those conservatives. He inserts his messages of conservativism within his sermons certain times, and it just irks me.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Something tells me this thread should be titled "Thing Hybrix Wants to Know So He Can Bring Them Up Later In Another Discussion".
Not at all. It's no secret that a lot of people here have a lot of beef on Christians, and as one I want to know what their reasons are so I can try my best to not fall into the stereotypes.

Kind of an honest heart to heart about the problems people see in stereotypical Christians. Who better to ask such a question than non-Christians? I didn't make this thread with the goal of attacking back. There is no bait and switch to watch out for. I'm simply curious what people honestly think.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Not at all. It's no secret that a lot of people here have a lot of beef on Christians, and as one I want to know what their reasons are so I can try my best to not fall into the stereotypes.
To be honest, I think that's one of the most incorrect statements ever made on this forum. It's actually kind of insulting. I'm sure there are a few people who truly dislike Christianity, but we get a lot of intelligent, insightful religious discussion on this board and that sort of thing doesn't happen if one is so narrow minded that they dislike only one piece of a religious world or blindly hate on them. I think a majority of the world (including many faithful) simply dislike organized religion or how it is run. Also, I have nothing against specific religions, my spite is specific if you must know. Someone going door to door with flyers entitled "Why You're Going to Hell and How God Can Save You" is annoying but ignorable. Meanwhile, someone burning down abortion clinics or bombing newspaper buildings needs to be erased from the gene pool.

Also, your reasoning is not the best either. Who cares if you fall into something that someone would call a stereotype? Why are you letting other people build you? Didn't we all get past this in middle/high school? Do what you want and what feels right to you.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
To be honest, I think that's one of the most incorrect statements ever made on this forum. It's actually kind of insulting.
Perhaps I shouldn't have said "a lot". Or maybe instead of "on here" I should have said "on the internet". Let's face it. Religion in general is the laughing stock of the internet as a whole. I never said I had a problem with the people who disagreed with me though, so I'm not sure why my statement would be offensive as I said it but it definitely wasn't meant to be.

Also, your reasoning is not the best either. Who cares if you fall into something that someone would call a stereotype? Why are you letting other people build you? Didn't we all get past this in middle/high school? Do what you want and what feels right to you.
Well, one of the big "stereotypes" of Christians is that they are hypocritical and quick to tell other people what they are doing wrong while not dealing with their own problems. With this thread I'm attempting to give everybody else a fair chance to say what they feel Christians are doing wrong. I'm not perfect and I've never claimed to be. If I'm saying something and doing the opposite myself then I fully expect to be called on it. I'm not above embracing correction through an honest chat.

And it's not an issue of letting other people build me. For example Elly doesn't like Christian missionaries. That isn't going to stop me from doing that but it's certainly a mindset to be aware of going into anything like that. Nobody should be pushed. And Spooky essentially thinks Christians should cease being Christians. I'm not going to do that either. Bananas on the other hand has raised some legitimate points about how Christians go about conversing with non-Christians that I think are worthwhile things to consider.

Last edited:

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I believe Christians are extremely judgmental of other people. People that usually have different beliefs.

I think Christians should reserve their judgment and leave it to God/Jesus, the omnipotent being instead of condemning others. Making claims that "All Gay people go to Hell" I think is counter productive to Jesus' message and hypocritical at best, catastrophic at worst.

I see many Christians that don't live according to Jesus' message but non-believers, who are 'condemned to hell', will lead a more moral life. They may not believe in Jesus but they are better human beings.

I think many American Christians are simply out of touch with the world and reality casting sweeping judgments on others. The world is not always black and white. Often Christians get so riled up about issues they dehumanize their opponents.

I think fundamental Christianity is perpetuated because many of these individuals associate exclusively with groups that all believe the same things and hold the same values. There is little exposure to the 2/3rds of the world that isn't Christian. I don't know many fundamental Christians whose best friend is Jewish...

There are other issues I have with Christianity but is the first one that comes to mind.

Last edited: