• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Worm

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I have a worm that affects millions of userrs with NT/XP. I reccomend that all of you download the patch from windows update NOW. You do not want this.

I'm in deep shit because the patch won't install so I get about...5 minutes of time on the internet before it cuts off. I have enough time to get on here and make this post for all of you to be informed.

The way this worm works is a security vaunerability in windows is taken advantage of, and there's soem NT ACCESS violation and it gives you a minute before your computer is forced to shut down.

This has happend to me about 25 times since I tried to get online today.

GET THE FUCKING PATCH NOW

SamusAran86

Registered Member
I update every chance i get, this is a big reason i hate MS, they fix one problem 100 more pop up... its a bunch of bullshit

Rabs

Registered Member
Windows Update, meaning the thing that pops up in the bottom right of the screen every week?

Pianobone

Registered Member
And I would reccomend a good virus protection problem. Norton Anti-virus is one of the fore runners in the fight against viruses. Their program will quarrantine any "contaminated" files, and place them into a separate folder, where they are disallowed any access to the rest of your system. That way you can then go in the file and inspect properties for yourself, etc. Or you can just have it auto-delete any of the files.

I also have a firewall and reccomend that as well. Try searching for "Zone Alarm" by Zone Labs. I'm not sure the URL, but it is a free download and is a great firewall. It works by disallowing EVERYTHING access to the internet or modem until you specify which files you want to access the web. Also, whenever a computer, server, or whatever attempts to access your system, and window will pop up and ask you if you want to allow them permission. It also notifies you of known hackers or viruses and auto-blocks them out from your system.

I've had this combo of virus detection and firewall for about 4 years or so, and never had any problems with worms, viruses, etc.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
The Symantec did exactly what I can do without a program. It deleted the file, registry, and process. My problem is that I can't install the patch to fix the vaunerability.

Pianobone

Registered Member
Microsoft always has the updates on their website. I'll bet if you send them an email and include your Win XP serial numbers and your IP address, they can email the file to you on like a Hotmail account, so that you can get it from another comp and save it to disk. Then you can just install it to your comp at home.