• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

World's oldest mummies turning to black ooze

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's a problem with the mummies at the University of Tarapacá's archaeological museum in northern Chile.

They're turning into a black oozy substance.

Climate Change May Be Destroying World's Oldest-Known Mummies : The Two-Way : NPR
I hope they can do something about this fast. These mummies are reported to be 7000 years old, 2000 years older than the Egyptian mummies. This would be a real loss. For some reason it is becoming more humid in the area possibly due to climate change.

Arica is located close to the worlds driest deserts which is why these mummies lasted so long to begin with. It became so dry there people would mummify naturally. Which the Chinchorro people began mummifying their dead when the place was much wetter.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
They could always put them in cold storage to prevent further decomposition.

Though all rather macabre. A body should be given a dignified burial or cremation, let the elements return to Mother Earth from whence they came.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
You would think cold storage would be the first thing they would think of instead of just letting them decay.

I thought about that, ashes to ashes and all that. Bet they never thought they would be stuck in some university. However if they didn't bet grave robbers would have already destroyed them all. They were also victims of arsenic poisoning.

In the 1960s, tests on water drawn by the city of Antofagasta in the Camarones river valley showed that it was laced with 860 microgrammes of arsenic per litre-86 times higher than the limits acceptable by WHO. Arriaza believes this was the same case 7,000 years ago. Tests on the Chinchorro mummies strengthen the arsenic poisoning theory. (ANI)

South American mummies were victims of arsenic poisoning - Thaindian News

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I vote for the Corpsicle idea too. They could keep them in transparent refrigeration units so people could see them - well unless someone just wants to see the black ooz lol!
But hey there could still be more issues with climate change like lots of new methane sinkholes and those mommoth elephants frozen in Siberia.