• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

World Record for Christmas light display

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
An Australian family who put more than half a million Christmas lights on their house have claimed a world record - for the second time.

Family claim Guinness World Record for Christmas light display with 502,165 flickering bulbs (but some of the neighbours have stopped speaking to them) | Mail Online
Over half a million lights, that must be amazing to see. I can't imagine the work put into something like this. I get frustrated over putting a few lights on the house.

I really don't blame the neighbors for being a little upset over it since this display also includes loud music. The article didn't really say but I bet its the loud music and not the lights. I might find the lights enjoyable if I lived next to them but not the loud music or the extra traffic.

I think its great that they are giving the money raised to charity.

How would you feel about this if you lived next to them? Do you decorate you house with lots of lights for Christmas?

dDave

V.I.P.
:shocked: That's absolutely insane and I think it's a ridiculous waste.

Given that each bulb uses roughly 1/2 watt of power, that's an estimated 250,000 watts of constant power, absolutely ridiculous. They couldn't find anything better to spend their money on? The electrical bill has to be through the roof. I can't help but wonder if this is actually an effective way to raise money for charity? If it is then good for them, but it looks like it's very expensive.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They are getting their electric paid by the electric company.

It mentioned that up to 70,000 people visited their light show in 2011. I'm assuming this was in a period of 5 to 6 weeks. Can you imagine what it would be like trying to get around that many people and cars just to get to your house, the exhaust fumes and the noise. I bet more than half of their neighbors hate it instead of liking it. Might be pretty but I would hate it.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
That. is. massive.jpg! :cool: It totally would own to live next to that. lights and noise are all about Christmas!

Last edited:

danwiz

Registered Member
To me it's WAY WAY over the top. If I was a neighbor I'd be very upset.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
That's pretty cool, and good that they are donating money to charity that they raise from it too. I would love to walk under that canopy of lights.