• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

World Aids Day - 1 December

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Today is World Aids Day. A day of awareness for a disease which has claimed many lives world wide, not only in under developed countries.

Living in SAfrica, it is quite a big deal. There are still too many people who are uneducated in this matter (*coughourpresidentcough*). We have many campains trying to educate the nation on this disease. I believe the current statistic is that 18% of our population is infected with HIV/AIDS, which is about 5.5 million people. And we are not even a third world country.

Is it the same in your country? Is it as big a problem in your country? What do you do to make sure you are save?

Let's remember those loved ones we've lost to HIV/AIDS.

I myself volunteer at an AIDS-orphanage, so I have seen the effects of this killer first hand. I try to make a difference in a small way. But this cause is deserving of a lot more assistance from a lot more people.

http://www.worldaidsday.org/

Impact

V.I.P.
Wow, idi. I didn't realise it was so bad over there. I think it's great that they're trying to get awareness out there and it's amazing of you to volunteer at an AIDs Orphanage.

I can't really answer what it's like over here, but I don't think it's a huge problem. To be honest, it's not really something I think about when I meet someone I want to sleep with, which probably isn't the best idea.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Today is World Aids Day. A day of awareness for a disease which has claimed many lives world wide, not only in under developed countries.

Living in SAfrica, it is quite a big deal. There are still too many people who are uneducated in this matter (*coughourpresidentcough*). We have many campains trying to educate the nation on this disease. I believe the current statistic is that 18% of our population is infected with HIV/AIDS, which is about 5.5 million people. And we are not even a third world country.

Is it the same in your country? Is it as big a problem in your country? What do you do to make sure you are save?

Let's remember those loved ones we've lost to HIV/AIDS.

I myself volunteer at an AIDS-orphanage, so I have seen the effects of this killer first hand. I try to make a difference in a small way. But this cause is deserving of a lot more assistance from a lot more people.

http://www.worldaidsday.org/
I lol'ed at your little coughing spell, there.

I definitely have this day on my mind, that's so (like Lauren said) amazing of you to volunteer in that way. I know how prominent HIV/AIDS is in Africa, and your contribution must be felt in a profound way. :nod:

HIV/AIDS is a present issue in the U.S., and unfortunately it is more prominent among minority populations that are living in impoverished conditions (such as some African American and Latino populations). From what I understand treatments are much better in my country than they had been in the past, but this issue can't be left in the background.

Thoughts and prayers for anyone who's dealt with this personally, within their family, friends, or community.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Def props for your work in the orphanage, Idi. Didn't know it was that bad in S. Africa. We've been kind of lucky here in the U.S. The CDC says there's only been 1.1 million HIV cases here since it started in 1981. 597,499 Americans have died from it since that time. But it slowed down here and since 2000, there has been about 40,000 new HIV cases each year and 17-18 thousand people still die from it every year. That's not as bad as where you are but it's still horrible.
I def hope things get better where you are (and everywhere), and yeah, it def deserves a LOT more attention and a LOT more people helping.
I've def been playing safe. I have to know somebody REALLY well before I even think about doing anything and then I take precautions. That's def not easy but it gets easier if I remember it can be life or death.

Dabs

Registered Member
I haven't heard much talk about the HIV/AIDS here in the states as of lately.
Not sure if we have less cases than years earlier, or if they aren't being reported, or the news isn't carrying it like they used to~

Dekzper

Registered Member
Yeah, the news had it downplayed till that new drug came out. The CDC is doing a new statistical report they'll publish in 2012 that will be for all U.S. states and territories. But they said that the 40,000 new HIV cases per year has been been pretty constant from 2000-2010. They also said that the 16-17 thousand deaths each year is low because victims are living longer now with all the new treatments.
Anyway, this is the new drug:
New AIDS Drug - iVillage
All the info is in the video.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I think the biggest factor making it that much worse here in SA than it is in the USA is ignorance. It sounds laughable, but our president actually admitted to having sex with a girl he knew to be HIV positive without wearing any protection, but added that he took a shower afterwards. It's that type of idiocy that is making this disease spread out of control. And he is supposed to be an educated man. There are rural areas in SA where people are extremely uneducated in this subject.

There is also a superstition that "having sex with" (raping) a virgin cures aids. There has been more accounts of small children and even babies being raped by men with HIV/AIDS when they think this will cure them. It's a really big problem in this country and many other African countries. You guys are lucky to be where you are. That's all I can say.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Props for your volunteer work. I don't know the stats here on Aids/HIV (too lazy to google, sorry haha). What I do know is that people who are hiv positive get full health assistance for longterm. We have come a long way from the 80s, meds have developed. Fewer people die of this but that's mostly because of new technologies, however treatments are expensive so I can only imagine that poorer countries (or those without universal health care) could suffer more from hiv-related deaths.

I think this day's awareness should cover:

- excellent campaigns for prevention and education
- re-appeal Catholic stance against condoms
- get more donation for organisations helping in the education, providing treatment, finding cure, counseling, support for family/entourage of patients or deceased (including orphanages that you're doing idisrsly)
- stop on discrimination (no matter how more people with hiv don't die like they do 30 years ago, living with the condition is still subject to discrimination that could be comparable to dying in the society)
------
PS. I think pharmacological companies should stop thinking of too much revenues and make the drugs more affordable. And countries donating drugs shouldn't have to trap poorer countries into exchanging their soul for it.

Last edited:

Dekzper

Registered Member
Education absolutely! It's really sad when somebody thinks a shower will fix the problem. And I think the Catholic stance on condoms is epic stupid! But the most important thing is the drugs. They have some incredible drugs now to fight it with. Those drugs should be distributed with no worries about money! If AIDS ever gets totally out of control it could kill everyone. When people do the profits thing about the cures, it's like watching a meteor about to hit the earth and saying "Sorry but you can't afford our missile that can stop it"! How nuts is that!?