Workout Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by mikenitzky, Sep 1, 2010.

1. mikenitzky

mikenitzky Registered Member

I am overweight by about 100 lbs. 6 months ago I started doing mixed Martial Arts 4 hours a week, but this is not enough on the days I am not doing MMA I need to do something else. I have no money for a gym or any equipment.

Many people have told me to go running and others say don’t run, but cardio is definitely what I need most

Help

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Who told you not to run and what was their reasoning? Maybe you could start with going for a walk everyday and as you start to get fitter incorporate jogging in there too.

Make sure your focus isn't solely on exercise -- a balanced diet will also do wonders.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Lots of things you can do my friend:

-Walking
    -Jogging
    -Jumping Jacks
    -Sit-ups
    -Push ups
    -Biking

Lots of different cardios you can do without going at a gym. Like Bex said, make sure to eat properly as well.

Good luck.

4. mikenitzky

mikenitzky Registered Member

several people told me not to run becasue of the strain to the knees and back. and i am trying to eat better as well. i do a lot of walking now, but in my MMA class we start with running for 10 min and even after 6 months it does not seem to be getting any easier.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Ten minutes is nothing though, you have to run for about 45 minutes to an hour. I myself run for that time six to seven times a week. Now I don't need to lose weight, but I do it to build my stamina and burn off some of the stuff I eat and drink during the week.

6. MisterT

MisterT Registered Member

If for medical reasons you can't run then that's ok. Try brisk walking as this is less strenuous than running but better than standard walking.

Sit ups each day and press ups will only help (but as long as you excercise)

If you have a job that also has stairs use them instead of taking the lift, etc.

7. Zappa

Zappa Registered Member

Cardio is good for your health, but doesn't really burn that many calories. The way to lose weight is to eat less. Track everything you eat, and count the calories.

There are a bunch of calorie-tracking websites online that already have dishes and calorie content in a database to make it easier, and track your progress, etc. They will also give you an estimate based on your height, weight, etc. on how many calories you should be eating a day. Here is one:

The Daily Plate on LIVESTRONG.COM - Calorie Counter, Weight Loss, Food Calorie Counter, Nutrition Facts | LIVESTRONG.COM

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  8. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Rather than counting your calories, I would suggest eating healthy. Don't eat processed foods or anything from a can. Cut out the fatty foods completely, or limit them to only once a week.

The thing that I hate about counting calories is that then people start buying these 100 calorie junk foods to snack on, or things like that. The calories aren't as important as what types of food you are feeding your body with.

9. Zappa

Zappa Registered Member

The thing is, if you don't track your calories, you don't remember how much you have eaten in a day, and may lead to overeating. The "100 calorie" junk food thing isn't going to fill you up, and when you cap your calorie intake, you don't want to waste it on junk food, you want solid food.

Nutrition is important, but if your goal is to lose weight, 4000 calories of nutritious food is still going to make you gain.

10. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Sorry dude, I just disagree. Several small meals a day with healthy food vs. counting calories is just better, IMO.

When you are presenting someone who is new to losing weight or eating healthy with the calorie counting option, a lot of the times they will choose the bad foods and just not eat anything else the rest of the day. I have seen it happen time and time again...which is why I am so against just saying counting calories. You won't change my mind on that, and I'm just lending my opinion to the OP.

Eat healthy grains, fruits, vegetables, and meats. Cut out the sugars, butter, sauces, etc.