Working out stunts growth?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by matt_man, Jul 22, 2009.

1. matt_man

matt_man New Member

Iv heard in the past that working out at a young age will stunt your growth, i was wondering if this is true? I could look it up but its funner this way. Im 15 and iv been working on my arms for about half a year now, just with some 10 pounds weights, but almost every day i do it. Im about 5'11 or so. Even if it does it wont slow me down but i was just thinking about it.

2. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

What stunts growth is heavy lifting. As long as you're only using 10 lbs or less and doing high rep/low weight than there isn't much danger. What happens is young kids like yourself start pumping iron and get into these competitions where they are trying to lift the most weight possible.

It's horrible on your joints while your body is still growing and developing.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Pretty much what Sui said. Heavy lifting will stunt your growth. Personally I'd say once you are 16 then you should be fine to start lifting heavier weights though.

Unless you think you still have a growth spurt or two left. If you have any older siblings then a good way to gauge when you are done growing is to wait until you're around as tall as they are.

4. matt_man

matt_man New Member

Well im about 2 inches taller than my brother who is 17, so that kinda throws me off haha.