Working out alone or with someone?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was curious if you guys prefer working out alone or with someone? Personally I prefer working out with someone else. It makes the workout more fun(if that's even possible). When you workout with someone else, you have at least someone to talk to and such. I don't mind working out alone, but I much prefer doing it with someone else.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I like to work out with other people, especially if I'm doing circuit based routines. It's good to have company but even more so I find that I work out harder when I am trying to either keep up with or stay ahead of somebody else in a circuit, for example.

If I'm running I am indifferent, but I don't like to talk to people WHILE running. It's harder to stay focused.

Alone! I like to listen to music, talk to myself and do things I wouldn't normally do in public (not as strange as you think). I feel really uncomfortable while I working out in front of others. I always feel like I need to put on a show for the other people to keep them entertained. >.<;

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't mind having some company, but it's hard to talk during a strenuous workout. Lifting weights is one thing. It's better to have a partner. But everything else I'd almost rather work out alone.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Not to mention the fact that with lifting weights, depending on what you are doing, you really should have somebody with you to spot you. Benching heavy weights is not something anybody should be doing by themselves.

And it's also important to make sure your spotter(s) know what they are doing. Don't get idiots like these people who clearly missed their cue:

YouTube - Bench Press Accident

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I prefer working out alone because I zone out with my iPod anyways, so I don't really care for company. It's a personal time for me.

renniegade

Registered Member
i have to work out alone otherwise i feel i become distracted, i enjoy my circuit training with my football team but perosnal work outs i have to do solo

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's another reason Hybrix I like to workout with someone. I'll admit on my third set of doing bench press I need a spotter in the last few reps because it just fills like my arms are going to fall off. If you have a spotter then you can go your max without worrying about the bar crushing you because you can't lift it up anymore.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
This reminds me of Clubber Lang in Rocky III, I work alone, I train alone...

Seriously, alone. I hate working out with other people, that's my private time and I zone out and want to be left alone.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I usually try to work out with someone, I find that working out is rather boring when you're not with someone, so usually if I'm doing sprint training I'll grab a friend and we'll do it together, I find it much easier to push myself when there are other people around.

Doesn't mean that I wouldn't work out by myself though.