• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Working on your own car

dDave

V.I.P.
Anybody here work on their own cars?

Admittedly, I absolutely despite working on cars, especially when you have to get under the car. It's not that I don't understand what I'm doing down there, it's that it's a very slow process, you get really dirty, and it's a little painful on my back and shoulders when the job takes a long time. But I don't really have the money to pay someone else to do big jobs for me. Subaru wanted $2200 to do the job that I did for just $300 last weekend.

I have 2002 and 2003 subaru outbacks. Both cars are getting pretty dated so lots of work coming up. This last weekend I replaced the Catalytic converter and both O2 sensors on the 2003. Accidentally stripped a bolt coming out of the engine head and took 3 hours figuring out a new way to securely fasten the exhaust header to the bottom of the engine.

Next weekend I'm doing a lighter job and doing spark plugs and wires on both cars.

The weekend after that I need to replace the front axles on the 2003 as well as all 4 rotors and brake pads. That one is going to be a total bitch (for lack of a better term). I did that job on my 2002 back in 2018, it was truly the worst.

Anybody else work on their own cars?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I do a lot of the light to medium work on my home's vehicles. I'm not an expert on the inner workings of an engine, transmission, or rear end. I can change brakes, re-seal an oil pan, etc. Big jobs or stuff I can't diagnose go to an independent mechanic.

dDave

V.I.P.
I do a lot of the light to medium work on my home's vehicles. I'm not an expert on the inner workings of an engine, transmission, or rear end. I can change brakes, re-seal an oil pan, etc. Big jobs or stuff I can't diagnose go to an independent mechanic.
I’ve done some rough stuff like putting a new engine in a car, building an entire engine from multiple pieces, changing head gaskets (which requires removing the engine from the car in my case), timing belts, pistons and bearings, replacing axles, etc.

I learned a lot from my father and I’m super thankful but it’s just not something I find joy in I guess.

still, I can’t deny the feeling of accomplishment and pride I get from finishing a big project on the car, I just hate the process of getting there,

dDave

V.I.P.
Replacing front axles, brakes, and rotors on my 2003 outback today. Not going to be a fun day. lol

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have a 2020, so not much maintenance needs to be done on my car. I do change my own winter tires. That said, my dad is a mechanic, so when I did have old cars/trucks that needed work done I would help him. Once removed an engine from my old truck and put in a new 350 big block (with my dad and brother).

That said, I hate working on cars for the most part.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
When I drove older cars I used to work on them a lot myself. I used to have a 1967 Mustang. I loved working on that thing.

I drive a 2020 Tundra, so everything is under warranty anyway. I get free oil changes for the first 25,000 miles, so I don’t do much maintenance anymore.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Replacing front axles, brakes, and rotors on my 2003 outback today. Not going to be a fun day. lol
Have fun with that. Hopefully it's a nice day and you can knock that job out fast!

dDave

V.I.P.
Have fun with that. Hopefully it's a nice day and you can knock that job out fast!
Job went well, not exactly fun but better than last time. Everything back together and working well.

Got really messy. Courtesy of completely busted axle boots. I took pics to share.

F997F0B8-1212-4F8F-88DE-152D916CF1D8.jpeg
18DA9680-E6DC-44E4-84CB-559AACED95AD.jpeg

Reactions: Doc

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I wish I could and I try but it always takes me 5X time that my mechanic can do it just for simple things. That's awesome though Dave. Great skill to have.

dDave

V.I.P.
I wish I could and I try but it always takes me 5X time that my mechanic can do it just for simple things. That's awesome though Dave. Great skill to have.
I wouldn't call it a "skill", haha. It's mostly the fact that I'm simply unwilling to pay someone hundreds if not thousands of dollars to work on my car when I could suffer through it myself.

Of course, when you drive older cars, the maintenance and repairs can start to really consume a lot of your time.