• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Working From Home

dDave

V.I.P.
Anyone else working from home right now? COVID-19 seems to have sent basically everyone home worldwide.

I'm blessed enough to have not lost my job like so many others but that doesn't mean there aren't a ton of changes.

As an AV Engineer it's hard but I am doing a lot of reading, speccing upgrades, doing meetings via Microsoft Teams, and online training. Basically, you could call it "professional development." I'm not a huge fan of it but at least I'm able to work. My job is typically very hands on.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I am! I posted my battlestation in another thread.

I've found that I'm more productive at home then at work. I feel like there's more digital eyes on me these days. I wish my son could understand that I needed this time to concentrate on my work, though. He needs lots of attention.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
My son works from home and has for years. He said he gets more done at home. He doesn't have people bugging him every few minutes. Very happy about that because I rely on him to take me to the doctor.

dDave

V.I.P.
I am! I posted my battlestation in another thread.

I've found that I'm more productive at home then at work. I feel like there's more digital eyes on me these days. I wish my son could understand that I needed this time to concentrate on my work, though. He needs lots of attention.
I'm not enjoying it that much. My job is typically very hands on so right now it just feels like a grind.

My son works from home and has for years. He said he gets more done at home. He doesn't have people bugging him every few minutes. Very happy about that because I rely on him to take me to the doctor.
I definitely know people like this.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I work remote for my own company now so I was working from home already before the virus hit. That aspect of my work didn’t require much transition since it was already my norm. And for me, I much prefer working from home. I have pockets of better productivity throughout the day and I can manage my schedule accordingly.

I wish my son could understand that I needed this time to concentrate on my work, though. He needs lots of attention.
I ran into this when I first started working from home. I happen to have a basement office away from where my wife and kids are during the day, but not everyone has this. For us, we just tell the kids “Daddy is going to go downstairs and work now” and they have learned that means they can’t come down during that time. But I’ll sometimes let them come one at a time and sit on my lap and watch music videos on my second monitor while I work on less cognitively intense stuff.

If I was working in a main area with other people around, I’d find that incredibly distracting though.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I can only do some of my tasks from home. Group classes are definitely off. For individual tutoring, it can be done by whatsapp/zoom/skype but only if we use a book or the focus is conversation. For more grammar oriented lessons and I usually have to distribute sheets and write on the board, we decided to wait until reopening. Besides, with 3 kids making noise at home (can't exactly ask them to go out haha), it's complicated to find that perfect time.

I'm also a mobile interpreter - I travel to public service offices and translate interviews/conversations/consultations. These services are now closed and appointments are cancelled or postponed indefinitely. For emergency situations and short conversations (15 mins) the 911 type of service can call me and I would translate over the phone.

Impaired

Registered Member
I'm a network engineer. I usually travel every day to a different client. Most this is hand-holding reassurance. Most of my job can be done remotely. Yesterday morning a client went to their office to move some cables for me, since that is something that I can't do remotely.

Everyday I set up my 'desk' in a new place. I used to always work from home in my den where my desktop is and I can sit on the sofa with a wireless keyboard and mouse using the big TV as my screen.

I needed to do something. So now I take a folding butler table and flipping the tray upside down I am using that as a desk.

I started bringing Marvin and K-9 in to keep me company.20200326_091703r.jpg

20200326_091703r.jpg

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'd love to work from home, but I made terrible life choices and I am now considered "essential". Haha.
Haha, I'm not sure that's necessarily a bad thing. Plenty of essential people are doing some great things right now. I know several people who work in hospitals who really have it rough, but are going to work every day and crushing it anyway.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Better to be essential than not be working!

I am working from home. I am a transportation audit analyst for a third party company and my main account is an electrical company so I am still quite busy.

I get a ton more done here despite Rebecca and the dogs being here too....less distractions actually. Some people in my company already work from home 100% of the time and some don't...I wonder if they'll change their tune and more people will get to work from home moving forward if we prove we can still get the job done.