• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Working for a 9 yr old in a sweatshop

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Few people learn what working for a nine-year-old feels like. (Most would consider the idea of working for a nine-year-old like the butt of a good SNL sketch.) But a Toronto Star reporter went to Bangladesh, was embedded in a sweatshop and learned nine-year-olds make the most forgiving bosses in the most unforgiving conditions.

What It's Like to Work for a Nine-Year-Old in a Sweatshop - Connor Simpson - The Atlantic Wire
I can't imagine what it would be like to work for a 9 year old in a sweatshop. This really had to of been a eye opening experience for this reporter. You think of a kid this young as going to school or playing not spending their life toiling away in a building with no windows. Considering the factory tragedies of the past no windows would worry me. The pay isn't much for the sacrifice of her childhood either but her family needs the money.

Makes me take a look at my cloths and wonder if a child made them. I don't like the idea of a child doing that and wish they wouldn't hire them that young. I wish businesses wouldn't buy their products if they are going to hire children, which I think some have stopped but not all obviously. Should have to label cloths that are made by child labor so we would know not to buy them. I'm glad we have laws against this here in the US as I'm sure a lot of countries do and building codes.

The reporters full story
I got hired at a Bangladesh sweatshop. Meet my 9-year-old boss | Toronto Star

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
There's so much wrong with this story, I wouldn't know where to start. These are shocking conditions to work under, with sweltering heat, 12 hour days. Shocking even for adults. But when it's a child it's that much worse. But here's the thing though. India is very over populated and impoverished. As crazy as it sounds, this little girl is much better off than tens of thousands of other kids in India. It's sad, but it's true.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes I have to agree this little girl is better off than a lot of other kids in India that are living on the streets or worse. They need to get a handle on their overpopulation problem before anything is going to improve.

I can't say for sure since I don't live there but I think if I was that poor and couldn't take care of the kids I already have I wouldn't be having more.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I completely agree Hilander. But it is also often the case that the poorer parts of the population are also the ones who are not able to afford birth control, or maybe their culture is just to have large families? I don't know what the issue is but I agree it's a problem that has spiraled out of control in a big way.