• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Working Class getting Married and Having Children

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Should it be illegal for couples to get married and have children below a certain income level or poverty level?

Yes or No....Why?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
NO. It doesn't have to be illegal otherwise it would be unfair to ask a couple not to have kids just because they have a low income.
I think a couple should make a balanced reasoning if they need to have children or not. It's up to them to decide whether they can manage their income or not, if they want to have kids.

Diederick

Registered Member
I think it is a good idea to have some kind of influence on people's decision on whether or not they'll have kids. A government benefit program, or if we're in North Korea a government license, would test people's capacity to raise children. In that sense I am more interested in social issues than whether they'll be able to afford children. For instance, I'd rather not have people who would kill homosexuals or would be prone to physically abuse their children to have them. Ever.

For very similar reasons I am very much in favour of sterilizing certain people.

Sim

Registered Member
No, I believe the freedom to chose a partner and/or to have children is a human right. Others should have no right to meddle into that.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Everyone has the right to have as many children as they want, period. I do agree that there are plenty of people who are not fit to raise children, but this is simply not a part of life that the government should have any say in regardless of the bad apples out there. The government should never be given the power to decide who can or can't procreate. It would be one of the greatest human rights violations imaginable.

Reactions: Sim

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
No, it shouldn't be illegal. Sounds classist to me.

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
I believe that people who cant afford to raise children are, to a degree, guilty of negligence. However, I know many people, my mother included, who got pregnant at a young age but fought and fought to better themselves. I think that sort of pressure brings out the fight or flight nature in people.

Just because you start off working class doesnt mean thats all you'll ever be. And ANYONE who wants it enough can be anything.

To quote A Knights Tale - "A man can change his stars"

So no - it shouldnt be illegal. The social services people should be more attentive to poorer families - not just for child abuse - but to ensure the family is giving the child the right message and encouragement that statistically they don't get.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Kibi said:
but to ensure the family is giving the child the right message and encouragement that statistically they don't get.
What statistics are you referring to? Just curious, is all.

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex

Dabs

Registered Member
No.....I would just hope that they are capable of taking care of all their children, should they end up with 2 or 8.
Otherwise, it's the welfare system~
Parents should plan more.