• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wonder Woman writer confirms superhero is queer

Powerful

Registered Member
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...writer-confirms-superhero-is-queer?CMP=twt_gu

I'm almost always on the losing side of an ongoing argument with my son in which I claim that the constant reinvention of longstanding comic book characters is a bogus and fairly lazy attempt to boost interest and sales. If they want to create a new character, they shouldn't just revamp a character that already exists. It's intellectually cheap just to fold the familiarity of a character into a new version when there's little regard to that character's history.

Of course he usually points out that I don't study comics 80 hours a week, so I will never understand the intricate web that ties all the logic together and makes it believable. I'm pretty sure that it involves time travel, alternate dimensions and a bunch of other stuff which I tend to reject out-of-hand.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm a huge comic fan, and although I'm a liberal I don't always like major changes to existing characters.

I think having strong LGBT characters is great, but - for one example - I didn't enjoy the change to Iceman of the X-Men. It was written that he had just always had trouble coming to terms with his sexuality, which does happen in reality. That being said, as a character he had a few relationships with women that were interesting to follow and interesting as a part of his history. There was an existing X-Man, Northstar, who is badass and already was gay. I would have enjoyed it more if they just kept featuring him instead of changing a founding member.

However, Wonder Woman being bisexual is fine to me. I think it fits with the Amazonian background and feels somewhat natural in this case. The current writer, Greg Rucka, is one of the best around and I trust his storytelling and judgment.