Women evolving to be shorter, fatter; but healthier, more beautiful

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Wade8813, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Women in future shorter, fatter, but healthier: Study | TheMedGuru

Women are getting more beautiful - Times Online

People often theorize that natural selection has all but stopped working on humans, due to our medical advances, and our tendency to isolate ourselves from nature.

The first one was somewhat unexpected to me, but not the second one.

Also, this shows to me that the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" isn't entirely true; if there's a scientific criteria for what counts as beautiful.

2. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

So, pretty much that second one is saying that beautiful women have more kids? So, they get laid more...thanks for stating the obvious.

3. Wade8813

I agree it's pretty obvious once you think about it, but you don't usually think about the implications (at least I don't, and I doubt many others do).

4. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Evolution is speeding up in humans, due to our increasing population. Not sure exactly how that works, but I suppose particularly useful traits have a better chance of arising and arising in multiple people, and thus to propagate in larger populations. As far as beauty is concerned, men have shown to be better able to agree on what women are physically attractive, than women are regarding men. I am skeptical about many psychologically Darwinian claims, but it does seem like men have some genetic traits that influence who we are physically attracted to; particularly when you consider their increased utility in men over women, since men are more able to be aroused by purely visual stimuli.

5. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

i was wondering how can a fatter woman be healthier....
    i mean..fat fat ...

6. Wade8813

They don't mean fat fat; they mean fatter. It's comparative. It just means that women are less than the ideal weight on average right now.

7. aardvarkgenocide

aardvarkgenocide Registered Member

but at the same time one could say that the beautiful women just get laid and pop the pill, where as the ugly ones actually raise the kids... so it could go either way...

8. PonderCloud

PonderCloud Registered Member

Seems to me that human mating works via finding the most attractive or physically appealing mate, whereas the natural course of things would be to find the mate with the most appealing skills. For instance, building a good nest or a good hunter, etc. Many animals mate simply as a result of fighting, the female choosing the male who dominates the other. Humanity doesn't work like that so it's no surprise that their breeding is affected.

9. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

And the broad shoulders of male humans are wasting away. Ploughing and hunting made way for working on the computer all day. My great great grand children will marry skinny nerds.

Impact likes this.
  10. Wade8813

Human mating often takes a lot of things besides physical attractiveness into consideration.

Plus, a lot of animals base their mating on physical appearance (peacocks, for instance).