Women and Children First?

What would you do?

• I'm male and I would do whatever I could to save myself in place of women and children.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm female and I would accept a spot on a lifeboat, leaving any adult male loved ones behind.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you were on the Titanic or another ship that was sinking and there weren't enough lifeboats for whatever reason, would you abide by the women and children first tradition? I use the Titanic as an example because everybody has heard of it, but any similar situation would do as well.

This question is first for the males here, since the tradition leaves them behind to die, but it is just as much directed to females and "children" here too. Would you opt to stay behind and die and let somebody else live in your place if it came down to it? (Seeing as there are no "children" here, according to the ages looked for in these circumstances, I will leave them off the poll.)

Last edited:

Th3Pr3Tz3l

Registered Member
I don't like either of the male options =P

I would abide by 1/2 of this tradition. I would go down with the ship if my place was to be taken by a child. But seeing as men and women are equal, I really don't see why a woman should get on the life raft instead of me because of her gender...

Now that is when I think it through, for some reason I believe that in the spur of the moment I would abide by the tradition...although I'm not really sure why =P Something instinctual about it maybe?

So I guess my vote goes to abiding by the tradition in the end...interesting...

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Yeah same. I think in the moment, I'd give my place to women and children. But thinking about it right now, I don't really see why women have leverage over men. Maybe it's being that 'gentleman' thing, but at the same time, I want to live. I'm hoping my will to survive will take over my chivalry in this case. :lol:

Now if I were with a loved one who was a woman and/or child, I would give them my spot for sure.

Wade8813

Registered Member
ThePretzel raises an interesting point, about how you would react in the heat of the moment VS how you would react if you stopped and thought about it.

There are other factors - are all the guys around you letting women and children go first? Or are they scrambling for the boats?

Is the situation me now, as a single guy with no wife/kids?

If every woman/child made it on the boats, would any men be able to go aboard?

(Etc)

Bananas

Endangered Species
Its not just a gender thing for me. I'd let everyone else go in front of me too, maybe it would be karma, but I'd like to think the core-crew would let me go before them if space were available.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
My brain tells me to stand between the women and the sea, and punch it so it can't claim them. That doesn't make any sense, but I'm pretty much going to go with it anyways. Well... mostly, at least. I might be able to restrain myself from trying to kill the sea. Not sure. At the very least, I'd let the ladies have the lifeboats first.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it's to hard to make a decision right now since it's actually not happening when your replying to this message. But my gut feeling says I would definitely let the women and children on board first since it's the right thing to do. But there's no way that I wouldn't try everything to survive if I didn't get on a life boat that's for sure.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I would definitely let children go before me. And more so, I would absolutely let women with children go before me. Let's assume there is a situation where there is a single father and his son on board, I would also give my space to him so that his child would not be orphaned.

I think I would let everyone go before me. I get more sad by other people's desprair and pain than I do about my own, so it will be less cruel to me to let as many as possible other people life. I would die happy(ish) knowing someone else has a chance to live.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Its not just a gender thing for me. I'd let everyone else go in front of me too, maybe it would be karma, but I'd like to think the core-crew would let me go before them if space were available.
I agree with this for the most part, I'd pretty much let everyone go before me.

My brain tells me to stand between the women and the sea, and punch it so it can't claim them. That doesn't make any sense, but I'm pretty much going to go with it anyways. Well... mostly, at least. I might be able to restrain myself from trying to kill the sea.
I agree with this as well, this would be my natural instinct.