• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Woman sent to prison for false rape claim

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Source

First, the man she accused, Shannon Hudson, was jailed for two months last year before Denham admitted she lied.
On Wednesday, a judge threw Denham into prison for six months, a rarity on a conviction for Ohio’s lowest-level felony, which usually results in probation.

“What you did in this case is, you caused a man to be incarcerated and he had done nothing and the worst part about that was you knew from the very start that he had done nothing,” Hamilton County Common Pleas Court Judge Steve Martin told Denham. “What you did was terrible beyond any words.”

Denham, 25, told police she was sleeping at her father’s Blue Ash home Aug. 13 when Hudson, her former boyfriend, came into the bedroom and raped her. Later, though, she wrote a letter to the judge presiding over Hudson’s rape case stating the sex was consensual, that she’d not been raped and wouldn’t testify against Hudson. Hudson could have gone to prison for 30 years on those charges.

She said in the Sept. 15 letter that she loved Hudson, 36, and wanted to be with him.

Denham is now six months pregnant and Hudson isn’t the father, she previously told the judge.

“I don’t want to get in trouble no more,” Denham told Martin.

Prosecutors charged Denham with making false alarms and perjury for swearing to tell the truth before the grand jury and then lying.

In a plea deal, Denham pleaded guilty to making false alarms in exchange for prosecutors dropping the more serious perjury charge.

This was one of two instances in the last five years where Hamilton County prosecutors have charged women who recanted rape allegations.

“I think it’s kind of obvious that Ms. Denham is not the most sophisticated young woman,” her attorney, Roxann Dieffenbach, told the judge.

Hudson spent two months in jail before Denham recanted.

“He’s now got a rape allegation against him that is completely unfounded, completely untrue,” the judge told Denham, “but other people are still going to think ill of him because of that.”

It's nothing against you ladies, but you don't see this sort of justice very often. When men get accused of rape, their lives end. Even if they're cleared of all charges, nothing is ever fixed for them. Personally, I think it's comforting to know that if at any point in my life I have a psycho, cheating, crazy ex girlfriend who accuses me of rape, that she'll be facing serious consequences for it.

Do you agree with this? Should false rape accusers face prison time?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I absolutely agree that if someone deliberately falsely accuses someone, there should be serious repercussions.

The problem, however, is that anything that might make a real rape victim hesitant is a problem. For instance, if a Susan accuses Bob of raping her, but Bob isn't found guilty (not because he wasn't guilty, but because of lack of evidence), Susan might be worried that she'd be charged. Even if she couldn't be charged, if she's afraid that she could be, it might make real rapes go unreported even more than they are.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
It's nothing against you ladies, but you don't see this sort of justice very often. When men get accused of rape, their lives end. Even if they're cleared of all charges, nothing is ever fixed for them. Personally, I think it's comforting to know that if at any point in my life I have a psycho, cheating, crazy ex girlfriend who accuses me of rape, that she'll be facing serious consequences for it.

Do you agree with this? Should false rape accusers face prison time?
I'd say a year would be better.

I don't think there's a better, or easier, way to destroy someone's life without any evidence whatsoever, than to accuse them of rape.

Wade said:
The problem, however, is that anything that might make a real rape victim hesitant is a problem. For instance, if a Susan accuses Bob of raping her, but Bob isn't found guilty (not because he wasn't guilty, but because of lack of evidence), Susan might be worried that she'd be charged. Even if she couldn't be charged, if she's afraid that she could be, it might make real rapes go unreported even more than they are.
But you'd also have to be able to prove that she knowingly accused someone innocent of rape.

Last edited:

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I agree 100% she should serve this time for lying to a serious charge like this.

Where it would have been a little cloudy is if she could not prove rape and was jailed, but by admitting she lied is worthy of a sentence, and is like you say, still a charge on this man's criminal record, guilty or not, it will follow him forever.

Wade8813

Registered Member
But you'd also have to be able to prove that she knowingly accused someone innocent of rape.
My point wasn't that I was worried (too much) about a woman being wrongfully charged with false alarms/perjury, so much that the rape victim might think she might be charged.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Yes, I think they should go to jail.

This reminds me of Michael Jackson's indecency case wherein the child came forward, after his death, to say that the case was based on lies and that his father just didn't approve of his close relationship with MJ. But damage has been done, and these people who have after-the-fact conscience coming out probably think that they should simply be lauded for being honest and "freeing" the accused. They don't seem to take into consideration the damage that has already been done and cannot be undone even after saying "I was only lying that time".