• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Woman hikes through freezing Alaska fog after plane crash.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Melanie Coffee’s infant child Wyatt was dying. She had called for help, and a police officer had been trying to talk her through resuscitation, but it wasn’t working. Beside her, three other people lay dead or dying as well in the small turboprop plane, lost in snow and fog cold enough to freeze on contact after the crash in remote Alaska.

Woman hikes through freezing Alaska fog after losing infant in plane crash to save remaining passengers | The Raw Story
This is horrible, I don't know if I could of done it, I would of been so heartbroken over my babies death. If she hadn't of though more people would of died. She was really brave to do this.

dDave

V.I.P.
That's pretty heroic, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a movie on this. What surprises me is that she actually made it all the way, she didn't quit and she didn't die.

I know this isn't a thread about small aircraft safety but I be really hesitant to get into a small plane because they crash so often.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know I'm surprised she made it. Alaska has some pretty rough terrain and the weather doesn't help. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they made a movie out of this and if they do I want to see it.

Those small planes can be dangerous. Some people I knew in high school died in one when it crashed.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
What a terrible ordeal that must have been for her. And her actions were very heroic. Sounds like it was a really tough terrain she had to go through. It's so sad that she lost her baby.

I agree about the small planes. You couldn't get me on one of those, ever!

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I worked for GCI and was actually on the design team for the microwave tower she walked to. I've been to St. Mary's before. These planes go down all of the time. Its just part of living in the Bush in Alaska. I've been in the air flying the Y-K Delta when all of the red lights inside the Cesna went off because the fuel gauge froze. The planes are piloted by rejects from the military and the planes are pieced together. Once the pilot put me in the plane and placed a piece of wood against the nose of the plane. He then started loading supplies all around me. When the wood slipped because the nose was too high in the air, he said 'Well I guess we've hit the weight limit' and we took off. If you work or live in rural Alaska, you will get in a plane crash. Its just part of life there.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I worked for GCI and was actually on the design team for the microwave tower she walked to. I've been to St. Mary's before. These planes go down all of the time. Its just part of living in the Bush in Alaska. I've been in the air flying the Y-K Delta when all of the red lights inside the Cesna went off because the fuel gauge froze. The planes are piloted by rejects from the military and the planes are pieced together. Once the pilot put me in the plane and placed a piece of wood against the nose of the plane. He then started loading supplies all around me. When the wood slipped because the nose was too high in the air, he said 'Well I guess we've hit the weight limit' and we took off. If you work or live in rural Alaska, you will get in a plane crash. Its just part of life there.
Wow a piece of wood gauges if you have reached your weight limit. I would of been freaking about that time and looking for a way out. I still would like to see Alaska but only the parts I can drive too or walk.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
For most of the plane trips in western Alaska, they fly really low to the ground. There are no trees and the terrain is flat. So, having a plane crash there is no different than a car wreck. Sometimes you're ok, sometimes not. Of course, you're still a hundred miles from nowhere. Other regions are different but still the pilots always try to stay as close to ground as possible to minimize damage when you go down.