Movies Wolverine (and other movie leaks)

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by ysabel, Apr 9, 2009.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

As some of you have already heard, a bootleg copy of the movie, X-men Origins: Wolverine was made available in the net before the actual movie release.

The leakage was bad enough and it's just worse that it was an unfinished version that was spread around. I can imagine their disappointment. I also think it was stupid and unfair to do a movie review based on that copy.

Anyway, in general:

How much do you think a movie suffers from a leakage (either before its release or at the same time it's being released)?

Honestly, if you were a fan of a movie and you knew a bootleg copy is available in advance, would you watch that or would you wait for it to come out in theatres? OR both?

2. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I would wait until it comes out in theaters. I have no interest in watching an unfinished movie.

3. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

A green screen, rough cut of a film isn't nearly as entertaining as actually waiting for the film to hit the big screens and enjoying it.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Minimal really. Especially a movie like Wolverine. What's it going to cost them? An extra million at most? There's no point in pursuing (legally) a leak like this because it would cost more in the long run. It's angering to have it happen though.

I would much rather see it in theaters. If it was a movie I was only half interested in, I'd probably download it. However, if I really liked the movie and didn't feel like paying $12 to see it again, I'd download it until it came out on DVD.

5. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I saw Origins already and I have to say that I'm fucking psyched for it to come out in the theatres. Without all the CGI and having everything polished was kind of upsetting, but it was still a decent movie. I have a few issues with the movie that I'm not going to go into yet, but I still really want to see it in the movies.

But to answer your question, I think it depends on what the movie is. If I have no interest in seeing it and it's leaked, I probably still wouldn't watch it. But with a movie that I actually do want to see, a leak is exactly what I want. And if I want to see it bad enough, I'll see it in the theatres, too.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I'm the opposite. If it's something I really want to see, I would rather see it in the theatres first than settle for lower quality version of it. Although the thought of other people seeing it before me also makes me wish I've seen it too.

If it's something I'm not really interested in, I might check the advance copies and maybe I'll be surprised and find out I like it. It might even urge me to go watch the movie when it comes out. Maybe there's a positive side to the leak after all that the producers aren't just thinking of right now, haha.

7. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Meh, I knew that the leaked version wasn't going to be the version that they put into theatres and it probably has extra scenes that will be cut before it comes out. Scenes that'll probably be special features for the DVD.

But I'm also pretty antsy about movies that I like. And the earlier that I can see them, the better.

8. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

As I mentioned in the Wolverine thread my friend just picked up a bootleg copy of the leaked reel this week, so it's already hit the streets. He said he watched about ten to fifteen minutes of it and then stopped, mainly because he didn't want the rest of it ruined for it and intends on paying to see it in the theater, but also because he doesn't want to watch a half assed version of it sans most of the effects and with wires and whatnot all over the place.

As also noted in the Wolverine thread I'm assuming this is all the result of idiotic fanboyism, as there was industry discussion that there would be some kind of backlash against Fox due to the Watchmen lawsuit.

9. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

I really don't like watching bootlegged movies, they're always crappy quality and sometimes you miss parts of the movie that are real important. I would just wait to see it in theaters.

~Shwa