Movies Wizard of Oz vs Avatar

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
When Wizard of Oz was made in 1939 no one ever saw anything of that sort when it comes to movies. Same thing can be said about Avatar somewhat.

Which of these two movies has made the most impact on the movie business? I know it's hard to really tell what type of impact Avatar as been since it's been released a few months ago. But as you probably heard, there's going to be a lot of these type of 3D films released in the next few years.

Also which one is your favorite between the two?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Avatar is my favorite out of those two by far.

Its really hard to say this early in the game ya know? I mean I'm sure alot of people looked at the Wizard of Oz and probably had the same feeling we're having about Avatar right now. Color had been used previously... but not in the extent that it was used in the Wizard of Oz. Just like 3d has been used before Avatar... just not in the same Quality as it was in Avatar.

I feel both movies made a huge impact, but to actually gauge which one is the most affecting..... I honestly cant give a straight answer. Off the bat I'd say Wizard of Oz. But I believe thats largely based simply on the fact of we havent seen how far the 3d Technology used in Avatar is really going to be utilized in the next 70 years.

I can say this though... I believe people remember the Wizard of Oz because of how much it pushed technology at the time. I wish I had a timeline of other technology advances.... I mean which movie gets credit for being the first "High Def" film? Or does that breakthrough still being attributed to Oz because its nothing more than a refinement of the Clarity and Color? Either way... Avatar will be remembered for the use of 3d, I dont think there are to many other candidate movies out there that can take that crown from it no matter what critics say.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Wizard of Oz storyline wasn't entirely unique either. It contains quite a few aspects from Alice in Wonderland, for example.

Both are unique in their own ways. Neither one did something that wouldn't have happened anyway, so I don't want to place TOO much importance on what they brought to the table. That being said, color TV does seem like more of an obvious technological advancement than 3D TV. I think if 3D takes off, which it seems to be doing, then Avatar brought a more important thing to the table. In many ways the jump from color to 3D was much bigger than the jump from black and white to color, at least from a technological aspect.

As for my favorite between the two, Avatar for sure. It's one of the best movies I've ever seen. For me at least, it was perfect in just about every way.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have yet to see Avatar so I can't really compare the two, but when I saw Wizard of Oz for the first time when I was younger I didn't really like it at all. But as I grew older and started to watch it more and more I started to appreciate it more, and finding out how much of an impact this movie really had back when it first got released. It's still incredible that a movie that was made 71 years ago is still being shown and appreciated by the public. Don't know if the same will happen with Avatar.

Poetosis

Registered Member
To be frank, I cannot imagine any films in the future quoting lines that were sprouted in Avatar (perhaps because that film took the script from thousands of films before it).

I remain firmly supportive of The Wizard of Oz as a film much better then Avatar. Munchkin and Na'vi comparisons aside, I also believe that the former has made more of an impact on many musicals after it. Although, admittedly, Avatar has raised the bar in terms of artistic direction for future CGI efforts.

Raos

Registered Member
Avatar is a flash in the pan. The Wizard Of Oz is part of the American experience. 40 years from now hardly anyone will remember Avatar and kids will have no idea what it even is.

The special effects in Avatar were great, no doubt, but IMO that is all it had going for it. The story is mediocre. It was not a bad story, but it was nothing groundbreaking either. And while the special effects were amazing, they were not mind blowing to the point that it will hold much relevance in a few years time.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
40 years from now hardly anyone will remember Avatar and kids will have no idea what it even is.
The same can be said about the Wizard of Oz though... that flick is now 70 years old, and I know for a fact none of my nieces or nephews have seen it or could tell you what its about.

Heck I could take it a step further and even say that my 14 year old brother has never seen Wizard of Oz or know what impact it had.

Raos

Registered Member
The same can be said about the Wizard of Oz though... that flick is now 70 years old, and I know for a fact none of my nieces or nephews have seen it or could tell you what its about.

Heck I could take it a step further and even say that my 14 year old brother has never seen Wizard of Oz or know what impact it had.
Hmm very interesting. Every kid I know is very familiar with The Wizard Of Oz. I see it every year during Halloween with many girls dressed up as Dorothy. But we don't have to restrict this to young kids. YOU know about the movie 70 years later. The Wizard Of Oz is mentioned anytime talk of famous iconic movies comes up. My point is that 70 years from now you will be lucky to find a handful of people who know anything about Avatar or even know that it even existed.