Witch and psychic tax rejected in Romania

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ilus_Unistus, Sep 10, 2010.

?

Do you believe in which craft and or psychics?

1. I think witch craft and psychic abilities are a reality

20.0%
  2. I think witch craft is reality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I think psychic abilities are a reality

20.0%
  4. Both are untrue

60.0%
  1. Ilus_Unistus

Ilus_Unistus Registered Member

I did not know where this would best be placed to be, so General discussion it is.

I read this in my local news paper and found it, well amusing how serious law makers feared passing a law for fear of being cursed. I found this article online that is similar to what I read.

Toil and trouble: Romania rejects witches' tax - Business - World business - msnbc.com

It made me think though, I wonder how many people believe in witch craft or psychic powers? I am skeptical, but I know very little of any of it and would like some input.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010

2. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

I was Wiccan for over 2 years, an occultist for 2 years before that, and both are still part of my spirituality.

So I said yes.

Ilus_Unistus likes this.
  3. PhoenixOverdrive

PhoenixOverdrive Registered Member

It's a highly cultural thing, I think. The way people are raised plays a big part in whether they will believe in such unseen forces.

As for myself, I'd have to say that although this cursing and magicking seems like a bunch of superstitious nonsense, there have been WAY too many events, big and small, that coincided too closely to what people were trying to achieve through mystic means for it to be fortuitous. There's definitely something to it.

My policy is not to mess with it, or get on the bad side of people who practice it. Just as an informed precaution. ;)

4. Ilus_Unistus

Ilus_Unistus Registered Member

As for psychic activity I have always wondered if like portrayed in many movies etc if there is any ounce of truth that this is an ability all humans have but is a dormant part of the brain very few have any control of. It seems possible to me but I have never researched this or have any proof to this.

I have read articles of witch craft or voodoo where very strange things occur from this, but there is still much doubt in my mind about it.

5. Daemonic

My personal view on how psychic and divination stuff works goes back to what I said in the fate topic. I think the future can be predicted but is not written in stone. I don't know how much people here know about that kind of stuff but when it comes to psychic abilities and divination my personal belief is that it is a prediction based on probability. I think some people can tap into the energy people give off, nature, and their surroundings to predict the future. Personally, divination is one of my weaknesses but I have messed around with it before.

So from my experience, divination can be useful for predicting what will likely happen, but can be changed as fate is not written in stone...... I see it as based on probability. What I do not like is people that try to make great deals of money off of it. I can understand doing it occasionally and accepting tips but other than that it shouldn't be used to profit from people as certain factors can change what was predicted.

Sim likes this.
  6. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Personally, I don't believe in witchcraft or psychics. I have never experienced any event that I couldn't sufficiently explain by other, rational reasons -- the weirdest things I experienced could easily explained by my mental state and my mind playing tricks on me and my perception.

What I do believe, though, is the capacity of the mind to achieve really astonishing things and gain insights unconsciously. I think our consciousness only scratches the surface of all the information we are processing, and we unconsciously perceive so much more than we are aware. Sometimes, some of these unconsciously perceived observations and conclusions then almost magically enter our consciousness, which may appear like a revelation, premunition or something of that kind. Or sometimes, it shapes your dreams.

Take the common example of a dream about a relative or friend in trouble: Some days later, you learn this person is ill or facing a serious problem. Many people are inclined to consider this dream a premonition in restrospect -- while I believe it may very well have been the unconscious observation that the relative in question has sent signals through very subtle uncommon behavior, body language etc, which you hadn't consciously perceived, which you didn't consciously recognize, but your unconsciousness took notice of.

This also makes it possible to manipulate people to some extent, and to some degree, this capacity can be learnt and trained. For example by using a particular body language most people don't consciously take notice of, or similar techniques.

ysabel likes this.
  7. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

8. Daemonic

Much of what you just said I do consider magick, so I guess it is how you define magick or witchcraft......

I think magick as I see it may have a scientific reasoning behind it and why it can work. Just something people do not understand for the most part.

I like to use Alister Crowley definition, while I'm not a fan of all he did....

"the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will."

9. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

It's spelled 'magic'. Yeah, magic tricks do have scientific reasoning. That is why they're called 'tricks' because they fool you by hiding the mechanism. Psychic abilities are not the same; the mechanism is unknown and not intentionally concealed.

10. Sim

Sim Registered Member

@fractal:

I don't know. But there are a million ways this could have been made in these videos.

That's a good definition! It's also why I believe religion or certain spiritual convictions make a lot of sense. You don't need to believe in transcendental phenomena to give a faith meaning. Things most people, including yourself, aren't usually aware of are just fine.

And all religions do it to some extent. Classic is the power through authority: Once you are in a position of authority, just by social convention, people will believe you. And once you got that, you have a huge impact on influencing their behavior, often not necessarily with them being aware, just by communicating ideas and concepts.

P.S.: When I started typing the message, a weird thing happened: After typing the first word, I blinked, and when I opened my eye again after a second, it was gone again. What happened? Am I just tired? Did my computer reload the page? Or did you use witchcraft on me? :lol: