wireless set up

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Gaara, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Gaara

Gaara Guest

my dads making a fuss about getting it because he says its to much work to set up. i want to know how much work it takes to set it up cause itll really help me out.

2. Blur

Blur iPimp

There are soooo many things "wireless setup" could imply...be more descriptive

3. KinkyBuu

KinkyBuu Guest

if your talking about setting up a wireless network in your home then its really not that hard. It will take some time but its not hard at all. But remember to password encode your network so no one outside of your house can use your network.

4. merob

merob Boom!

Doesn't really take much work to set up a router/network, if thats what you mean. You just have to plug a few things in.

5. Nestor

Nestor Guest

connection goes from (cable or DSL modem) to wireless router. Typically, you use the setup CD to "instruct" the wireless nic to pic up the router's signal. easy peasy~

And WEP is a piece of shit, you can still hijack and decode packets out of the air with very little effort. The easiest and most effective way to secure a wireless network is to isolate your network via MAC Address- which means that only the PC's that have been added to the "safe list" will be able to access it.

That's a little advanced; so do a little research before you set that up.

6. MAC filters aren't entirely safe either, as faking a MAC address is easier than breaking WEP (assuming you know the MAC you need to fake). WPA encryption (look on the box of the router for it) is a far better option.

7. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

Your all talking as if wireless routers are easy to connect! Ever tried Belkin? Peice of crap.

First i've got to change my USB connection to an Ether connection by reinstalling my modem (which is a bitch) and if i can't get another wire to fit in the back then i have to get a new tower! And from then on it'll be fun and games all over again!

DON'T tell me routers are easy to install!! ><

8. They make really simple ethernet->USB adapters that you can use. You can even buy a wireless adapter that will plug into a USB port.
    ethernet->USB adapter: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1030257&CatId=200
    USB->wireless adapter: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1209367&CatId=0

Unless you mean that your modem is USB. That would be a problem (not to mention strange), but otherwise one of those two above should be able to work just fine.

9. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

My modem is connected by a USB cable, i have to switch it to an ethernet and buy a smaller ethernet cable because the one that came with the router doesn't fit.

But i'd rather get a new tower, mine is like...6 years old.

10. 6 years old. . . yeah, it might be time to replace that. I've never even seen modems connected externally by USB before.