Winter has returned to Westeros

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The finale did a good job of wrapping up the storylines.

Bran manipulated himself to the throne. When you do something right people aren't sure you've done anything at all! I do absolutely love that Tyrion is the "real" power in Westeros. The man running the show.
Agreed, I thought it did too. This whole season was somewhat rushed, and they could have spread out a lot, but I thought they wrapped up the storylines fairly well.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Let's check my theories! I've been wanting to do this for a while. I wrote my "theory" post before Bran sitting on the throne was spoiled for me between eps 5-6.

No way they spend all of that screen time training TriPod for him to just die in battle. Homie is going to get one of the empty houses (Umber, Bolton, Tarly, Harrenhal) or he'll end up in the king's/queen's guard with Brienne being Lord Commander.
Nailed Pod/Brienne, though neither filled the Azor Ahai prophecy. That was Jon who fulfilled the prophecy by plunging his sword "making his decisions" in ice (water), the lion (Cersei), and finally his love. It's a perfect fit to the prophecy and you can argue that the Iron Throne and what it represents is actually Lightbringer. The iron throne was created as soon as Aegon the Conquer conquered the six (not Dorne) kingdoms. Man was well rid of the iron throne and what it represented.. it took great power and sacrifice from everyone who ever sat there. There's way more lore to tie it in but you get the idea. The iron throne = the monarchy and the monarchy was changed (reforge the great sword). The "sacrifice" I couldn't wrap my head around was Jon killing Dany but that just seemed too obvious to me. I really, really enjoy that D&D nailed the Azor Ahai prophecy and I feel like that's something that wasn't given to us through exposition and the Red Woman- we actually saw it. This is a point that people are going to look back on and realize "man, they really did work hard to make that one right."

Part of me wants Jaime to get what's left of Casterly Rock. There can't be many Lannisters left.
and
Tyrion - Retires to Winterfell to be Sansa's husband. Could possibly be granted Casterly Rock depending on what happens with him/Jaime in the final battle. If Cersei doesn't kill herself Tyrion is the one to do it by strangling her, fulfilling the last part of her philosophy.
and
Cersei - DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAD. She's going to poison herself when shit starts going down or get strangled by Tyrion.
Tyrion survived, so Casterly rock is almost certainly his. I doubt he ends up with Sansa in the "assumed epilogue", the Queen in the North, who will almost certainly marry a northerner. I wasn't sure if he'd survive or not but I knew it had to be him OR Jaime for the story to make sense.

Cersei's prophecy was fulfilled with Jaime because she died with her brother's hand around her neck. It was just in a loving embrace. She didn't poison herself and actually tried to live. I missed that part entirely.

King Jon/Aegon (Rightful heir... but he may fill his purpose with the Lord of Light in the final battle.
Queen Denarys (Marries Jon, they rule together sharing power)
Bran: Who TF knows. He's clearly the McGuffin for the final battle.
I was wrong. I never wanted Bran on the iron throne and predicted my preferred ending. I'm good with what happened, however. Especially since Tyrion is the "real power" or, at least, has full control with Bran only giving guidance and making final decisions. I did predict that Bran was the McGuffin but it wasn't for the battle - it was for the throne. Bran quietly pushed the narrative to get himself on the throne so a good man who didn't want power but can clearly rule fairly and honorably can be in charge. Tyrion's ending and, by extension, Bran's ending was my favorite. I thought I would hate that Bran was on the throne.. but we've seen the Hand running Westeros more times than not. "Hand" has always been the second most powerful position in Westeros.. at least it's been presented to us that way.

I have big problems with sending Jon to the wall to take the black when Sam is a sworn brother of the Night's Watch but is now clearly Archmaester (holding a title) and not at the wall. I can only assume that Bran released Sam from his vow.

The ending was amazing, to me, because Tyrion is in charge, doesn't want it, and will do a great job. He knows he made mistakes and can learn from them. Great, great ending and I don't give a damn what the main fanbase thinks.

Bronn is totally going to take Tyrion up on his offer to double Cersei's pay and he'll end up with the Twins (two castles instead of one). Remember, him and Jaime have a connection and Jaime turned on Cersei
Hand: Davos, who will get to establish his own house in place of one of the extinct great houses. Has to be Bear Island. Could also be the Iron Islands if Yara fails/dies.
Sam - No idea what position. Hopefully he gets to become the court Maester (Remember Dany's line?)
Varys - Master of Whispers/Master of Coin type of position
Highgarden was spoiled for me before I made this prediction. I really, really wanted to be subverted into seeing Bronn get two actual castles but it seems like they doubled the wealth and prestige of the house instead of physically doubling the number of castles. I'm good with Bronn getting a happy ending and sitting on the council with the others. That's a fun set of personalities. Master of Coin is a nice touch, too. Bronn may have gotten my second favorite ending.
Davos would have made sense as hand and I needed to put someone there since I didn't think Tyrion would live/get a position in the monarchy.
I missed Varys' death in my predictions but, to be honest, I really expected him to live. His death was probably necessary, also, but not one of my favorite choices. He went out with honor and standing by his convictions and I really like that. His arc and conclusion was one of the best, IMO.
I got Sam right.

Night's Watch - Disbanded and no longer needed. The free folk get the gift and what's north of it. Hopefully Tormund gets to be the King but I think he dies.
Wishful thinking. The Watch was useless (WHAT HAPPENED TO SAM'S VOWS!!) until the next long night in a few thousand years. So glad Tormund didn't die and rode off into the oblivion with Jon. Clearly Bran sent Jon to the wall knowing he'd go beyond the wall and be free.. Bran did Jon a solid. Tormund is probably the King but I'll call "leading the WIldlings" as close to King as you can get. We can only assume that Jon isn't "in charge" or is a part of decision making with Tormund, or king in place of Tormund. I like the ambiguity in Jon's ending. He gets to be free. He gets to be with his best friend and Ghost. 100% ok with this ending.

Gendry - Azor Ahai, lord of Storm's End. (He can smith a sword, and AA smiths Lightbringer)
The Lightbringer stuff is in the wrong place.. for some reason I mixed up Pod and Gendry when I wrote this. I was right on Gendry.

Sansa - Queen of the North
I'm glad I got this one. It was obvious they were setting up for an independent North when Sansa bucked at any and all ideas of someone else having power over the North. The key for me was the line about the Starks swearing to House Targaryen and not the realm.

Jaime - Dies in battle
Hound - Dies in battle
Yara - Ruler of the iron islands or dead from the final battle. I'm sure we'll see that one before the finale.
Good enough.

Tormund - Dies in battle (saaaad), doesn't marry Brienne. If he doesn't die he'll get to lead what's left of the free folk, who are given what's north of the Gift.
Close enough. I got the number of deaths right but swapped Tormund and Varys as the "necessary death."

Grey Worm /Missandei: If they live through the battle they are going to retire.
Missandei's head was removed and Grey Worm sailed off to avenge her. I was way wrong.

Doc

V.I.P.
I didn't like her from the beginning. She's always been a tyrant and a killer to me. I didn't much difference between her and Cersei.
I liked her. I thought her story was boring and drawn out at times. I didn't really start seeing cracks until somewhere around her fucking off on Drogon while her city was in trouble. Tyrion put it best: Everyone told her she was doing a good job when she murdered people for her vision. They just happened to be bad people.

I liked where pretty much everyone ended up, I just didn't really care for how some of them got there.

I thought everything up to the cut to black was great. Everything after was a mixed bag.

The part where Tyrion is in shackles and just telling everyone how shit is going to go from now on was hilariously bad.

The last few seasons have been a rushed mess.... but I'd still give Thrones an 8/10 overall. I'd put it somewhere in my top 10 shows.

Dexter keeps the crown for worst final season/finale of a once great show.

Now what do I watch? Hahaha.

Doc

V.I.P.
Tyrion didn't need to be in chains as he was no threat to run or fight. That's what makes it soooo stupid to me.

Did Elaria Sand die in the dungeons of the Red Keep? I don't know where they're located enough to make a judgment.

If we're doing out of ten ratings I'd be at an 8.9. Great, and historical, but flawed. The pacing after the book material ran out was unfortunate and cost it a solid. 5. The rest is for the obvious continuity or world breaking stuff like making Bran a zombie man or Cersei forgetting she sent Bronn to kill her brothers.

Impaired

Registered Member
What I didn't like was how it made alot of things irrelevant: like the prophecy. All in all though, it was a good way to wrap up.

I do wish the dragon had flamed Jon Snow and he was proven to be a true Targaryen. The dragon would know he wouldn;t die but I think he needed to vent his anger at Jon.

Doc

V.I.P.
I believe it was fulfilled and I destribed it above:

No way they spend all of that screen time training TriPod for him to just die in battle. Homie is going to get one of the empty houses (Umber, Bolton, Tarly, Harrenhal) or he'll end up in the king's/queen's guard with Brienne being Lord Commander.
Nailed Pod/Brienne, though neither filled the Azor Ahai prophecy. That was Jon who fulfilled the prophecy by plunging his sword "making his decisions" in ice (water), the lion (Cersei), and finally his love. It's a perfect fit to the prophecy and you can argue that the Iron Throne and what it represents is actually Lightbringer. The iron throne was created as soon as Aegon the Conquer conquered the six (not Dorne) kingdoms. Man was well rid of the iron throne and what it represented.. it took great power and sacrifice from everyone who ever sat there. There's way more lore to tie it in but you get the idea. The iron throne = the monarchy and the monarchy was changed (reforge the great sword). The "sacrifice" I couldn't wrap my head around was Jon killing Dany but that just seemed too obvious to me. I really, really enjoy that D&D nailed the Azor Ahai prophecy and I feel like that's something that wasn't given to us through exposition and the Red Woman- we actually saw it. This is a point that people are going to look back on and realize "man, they really did work hard to make that one right."

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I like his re-write except maybe Jaqen does what he said Arya would do.

That said, I didn't dislike GoT like many people did although I wouldn't mind extra episodes so it didn't feel rushed.