Wings to play Blackhawks on New Year's Day, 2009 at Wrigley Field

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by icegoat63, Jul 16, 2008.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

It appears that NHL Winter Classic will be back and making a visit to the Windy City.

TSN has confirmed that the Chicago Blackhawks will take on the Detroit Red Wings next January in what has become the league's annual outdoor game.

Following the success of this season's Winter Classic in Buffalo, where a record 71,217 fans watched the Sabres take on the Pittsburgh Penguins at Ralph Wilson Stadium, a number of cities have been pushing for the right to hold the event.

There was talk that New York Rangers were looking into the possibility of hosting a game at Yankee Stadium. With the Yankees moving into a new stadium next season, it would have been the final event held in the old ballpark.

It is not yet clear whether the game would be held at Wrigley Field, home of MLB's Cubs, or Soldier Field, home of the NFL Bears

Source

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I really expected them to hold the game at Yankee Stadium because there moving to a new stadium next year. But I think it will still be awesome to have it at Wrigley Field, the second oldest stadium after Fenway Park. Also the Hawks and Wings have played each other more times then two other teams, so it's a huge rival. Should be an entertaining game.

3. icegoat63

first off... did you notice the "Chicago Blackhawks Ringtones" ad in this thread, lmao what is that about.

now on to topic;

I was also VERY surprised its not being held in NY. I'm guessing the reason for that is because the last one was in Buffalo, NY. So in a sense that kinda makes sense. However I was really hoping to see a Boston Bruins appearance in one of these games. They must have the next one against the Leafs.

Also! Do any of you think its to sudden? I mean they are doing them back to back now and I'm afraid it might kill the Specialness of this Winter Classic Game. Dont get me wrong, the marketing and exposure are awesome. But what happens when you overdo it?

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't think it's over-doing it to be honest with you, it's only once a year, and it's pretty special everytime. I believe the fans really like it, because it's different and it's quite an experience. But once a year is fine, but if they bumped it to twice a year then that would be a problem in my opinion.

Side Note: I believe that the NHL just wanted to wait and see where Ty Conklin signed with before they chose which teams should play eachother. If you don't know already, Conklin was the goalie in the first outdoor game between the Habs and Oilers, he was also the goalie for last years outdoor game for the Penguins. Now he's playing for the Wings, will it be a hat trick for Conklin?

5. icegoat63

I knew he played in the second... but I wasnt aware he played in the first and I didnt know he was with the Wings!

hahaha I've always liked Conklin, I mean how many NHL'ers do you know are from Alaska! Thats a pretty cool feat if you ask me. Also I've seen reported he has the same birthday as me....but then again I've also seen another day. If he is in fact born March 4th then that would be cool

As far as over doing it I've heard a lot of negative buzz from the guys on Home Ice Radio. And to be honest they make sense, but theres also that tinge I have where I WISH I could be able to attend one of these... I also agree that they are and have all been really special.

6. padd

padd Registered Member

LMAO another out door game for Conklin!? most players are over joyed with just ONE. Anyways, the Winter Classic should continue to be held on Januaray 1st for the rest of time. It makes things special.. speaking of which The Rangers and the Habs are playing an outdoor game next year.. get your tuques ready boys, the NHL is going roofless!

Sorry goat, no outdoor games for you, unless you wouldn't mind watching the Sharks and the Ducks Re-new their california rivalry in field hockey.

7. nicole

nicole Registered Member

im stoked for this game!! i cant wait!! chicago better win this. i m so happy the hawks have a viable hockey team now too.

8. canadian24

canadian24 Registered Member

Ah the good ol days of hockey. Now lets get Bob Probert on the go and we got ourselves a game. But really now I think this game is going to be amazing. The outdoor game first off between two huge rivals out in the west and then both teams are deffinately contenders in my opinion in the west so this game is gonna be off the chain.

9. icegoat63

I actually went to San Jose 2 seasons ago in Early January. They have an outdoors skating rink in their downtown mall. Wide open! Its set up with the underground pipes and all, very sweet deal. Only thing is I was talking to the guy running it and he said they have a very short window to keep it up, like between Christmas and mid January.

With todays technology I dont see why the warmer climate hockey markets couldnt do an outdoor game. however I see why they shouldnt. These games should be special only to the Original Six, I dont see how the Blue Jackets vs. the Wild could be considered a Heritage classic game IMO.

So even if California forked over a couple million to pull off the outdoor publicity stunt... I wouldnt be for it. We are not original six and I sure as hell dont want to be the first state to fuck that rotation up!