Wings Re-Sign Osgood for Three Years

Turbo

Registered Member
Detroit Red Wings - News: Wings Re-Sign Osgood for Three Years - 01/09/2008

Detroit…Detroit Red Wings General Manager Ken Holland today announced that the Wings have signed goaltender Chris Osgood to a three-year contract running through the 2010-11 season. In keeping with club policy, additional terms of the contract are not available.

“Chris has a tremendous career record as an NHL goaltender and his performance this season places him as one of the top goalies in the game today,” said Holland. “He’s been a big part of our success in every season he has been with the Wings and we’re very happy to have him signed for an additional three seasons.”

Osgood leads the NHL this season in both goals against average (1.68) and save percentage (.932) and has built an outstanding 19-2-1 record. For his career, Osgood is tied for 15th in all-time victories at 355 with Rogie Vachon (3rd among active goaltenders).

Osgood has just two regulation losses this season in 22 appearances. Both of the losses were 3-2 decisions. No other goaltender in the NHL with at least 10 appearances has as only two regulation losses.

Osgood, 35, was originally drafted by Detroit in the third round (54th overall) of the 1991 NHL Entry Draft. He was claimed by the NY Islanders from Detroit in the Waiver Draft on September 28, 2001. He was traded to St. Louis by the NY Islanders in 2003 and returned to Detroit in August 2005 when the Wings signed him as a free agent.

The Red Wings host the Minnesota Wild on Thursday (1/10) at Joe Louis Arena. Tickets for Thursday’s game and all games throughout the rest of the regular season are currently on sale at $22, $44 and $54 at the Joe Louis Arena Box Office, all TicketMaster locations including The Hockeytown Cafe, Hockeytown Authentics in Troy, or charge by phone at 248-645-6666. Fans also can purchase tickets by logging on to DetroitRedWings.com.
nice job, this'll keep the Red Wings as solid contenders for a few more years to come

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
He's a good goalie, but I wouldn't rank him has one of the best goalies in the NHL, he has a good record, but you have to remember what team he plays on, and he has two of the best defensemans in front of him in Rafalski and Lindstrom. Good goalie but not in the top 8 goalies in the NHL that's for sure.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hate Osgood because he is on Detroit and he didnt do good for the Blues while with them, but with that said this is a good move for Detroit. Osgood wouldnt nearly be doing this good if he wasnt in Detroit, but hes a solid goalie and has had success there.

Slippery Jim

Registered Member
well he'll be a good temporary replacement for Hasek when he retires, until they Red Wings find someone at Osgood's level, just like in the Roloson-Garon situation. Osgood will be a fine goalie for the time-being...that's my opinion anyway.