• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Microsoft Windows XP support cut by Microsoft

dDave

V.I.P.
Support is ending for Windows XP - Microsoft Windows

After 12 years I do think it's about time that they do this and invest their resources into more recent things and encourage people to upgrade.

Windows XP, in my humble opinion, was the greatest OS for it's time. It was capable of so much, the possibilities seemed almost limitless. Home computers grew to extreme popularity with that operating system.

If you are still running Windows XP (and I know there are a few of you out there) then you need to look into upgrading to Windows 7 or 8. Automatic updates (aka, things you need for computer security) are being cut and the OS will become much more vulnerable with time. The same thing happened to Windows 98 and Windows 2000.

Support ends April 8 of this year.

Operating systems that Microsoft will still support...
-Windows Vista
-Windows 7
-Windows 8
-Windows Server 2003 (being dropped next year)
-Windows Server 2008
-Windows Server 2012

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hate to see them do this, some people have computers that are too old and slow to use anything newer. I guess by doing this they can force people to upgrade even if they are happy with what they have.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I was still using Windows XP up until 3-4 months ago when I built my new computer. It served me well for a long time, but it wasn't without problems (though all my problems could have been hardware related).

dDave

V.I.P.
I hate to see them do this, some people have computers that are too old and slow to use anything newer. I guess by doing this they can force people to upgrade even if they are happy with what they have.
Well, that's the thing. In a way they are forcing people to upgrade even though technically they're not. I built a computer a couple years ago and installed windows 98 on it (to play a couple of really old computer games), I had to be really careful with what I did on the internet because I know it's way outdated and very insecure.

I totally understand why they're doing this though. They can put more resources into modern operating systems that 98-99% of the population uses (I'm referring to Windows 7 and 8 for the most part).

Honestly. If you know how to use Windows XP then using Windows 7 should be absolutely no problem. Windows 8 also isn't really that hard to use, I just don't care for it because I'm used to something else and took the option to keep my older OS (Windows 7 Ultimate x64).

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I was never a big fan of XP lol. I always had nothing but problems with it. My computer always ran so slow because of it. I'd restart, and then it'd slowly start slowing down over the next couple hours. This was right from the get go too, outta the box. Tons of times, I'd follow step by step instructions on how to do different things, and nothing ever worked how it was supposedly supposed to.

My favourite was always windows 2000. Oh man, that one always ran so smooth for me! lol

I suppose whenever I get a new laptop in the future, it'll have the newest windows. Windows 7 looks nice, but windows 8 seems pretty decent too. However, I may end up hating both and just continuing with linux haha.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
To be fair to Microsoft there had to be a cut off point when they stopped producing updates for it, it just doesn't make sense to support such an old OS, that being said a lot of people still use it and not just home users, shops still use it, ATMs still use it. One thing that has been said is that certain AV companies will be supporting updates for XP so you are not entirely open to attacks and if you use a router with an inbuilt firewall that will keep you out of trouble.

I personally cannot see hackers suddenly launching attacks on people using XP any more than they already have been you are more likely going to be attacked if you are on Vista or 7.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was never a big fan of XP lol. I always had nothing but problems with it. My computer always ran so slow because of it. I'd restart, and then it'd slowly start slowing down over the next couple hours. This was right from the get go too, outta the box. Tons of times, I'd follow step by step instructions on how to do different things, and nothing ever worked how it was supposedly supposed to.

My favourite was always windows 2000. Oh man, that one always ran so smooth for me! lol

I suppose whenever I get a new laptop in the future, it'll have the newest windows. Windows 7 looks nice, but windows 8 seems pretty decent too. However, I may end up hating both and just continuing with linux haha.
XP actually made your computer run slow. I know mine slows down but I thought it was because so many people were using the internet.

I'm thinking about using Linux, don't know what I will do at this point.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I'm thinking about using Linux, don't know what I will do at this point.
Honestly I wouldn't if you do you are opening yourself to a world of pain, there is so much that you probably use at the moment that you simply cannot use in Linux, your options become very limited. I currently have my mac boot camped to have both Mavericks and Windows 7 so if there is anything I cannot do on OS10 I can quickly switch back but I have found very little I cannot do on my mac and I just find it a joy to use.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
If you are going to use Linux I recommend creating a dual-boot system in order to get the Windows features you may need in the future.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I use linux right now. There are linux equivalents to pretty much everything in windows, with more and more being developed daily. Ubuntu is your best route, because its super easy to use. There's also a program that is a windows emulator for running windows programs in it.