• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Windows vs. Linux Server OS

Windows or Linux Server OS

• Windows

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Linux

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
What do you use and why?

If you do not know about either then please do not reply.

Personally, I've used Linux for years. It's fairly simple to run and maintain, but lately I've been looking at switching to Windows. The remote desktop aspect is a huge plus for me, since I find SSH to be really annoying at times.

Plus then there is the .ASP factor. I'd like to use ASP but can't unless I switch to a Windows box.

Anyway, what are your preferences and why?

member357

Andrew said:
What do you use and why?

If you do not know about either then please do not reply.

Personally, I've used Linux for years. It's fairly simple to run and maintain, but lately I've been looking at switching to Windows. The remote desktop aspect is a huge plus for me, since I find SSH to be really annoying at times.

Plus then there is the .ASP factor. I'd like to use ASP but can't unless I switch to a Windows box.

Anyway, what are your preferences and why?
I am going to stay with Liniux , just for the fact that billgates has enough money

Albey

Registered Member
I have a linux server. Also will have a winblows server here shortly. Just so i can learn asp.. thats one language i never got into...

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I just made a call today to price out a Windows server. Just doing some homework.

If everything I run will also work on the Windows server then I will have several more reasons to consider the switch. :)

Thermal

Registered Member
I use both pretty regularly. I use Windows 2003 for Active Directory, and various other services. Linux/BSD I tend to use for servers that I can just sit in the corner and not have to worry about except when I need to patch them. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I really couldn't see using Linux for a directory service for a predominated windows clients, since you don't have as much control (i.e. group polices).

As for which I'd use on a web server, I'd probably go with Windows, since I'm a big fan of ASP.NET. BTW, ASP isn't a language (unlike PHP), its a technology in which code can be parsed on the server and html is sent out to the client. ASP.NET allows for .NET library, and you would use C# (what I use), VB.NET, JS.NET, third-party languages (PHP.NET, Python, etc), or a combination of languages (beauty of .NET). You'll also need to look into which types of database servers you'll be using with ASP.NET. With PHP you'd probably be using MySQL, but .NET doesn't come with default support for it. You can make your own by writing your own provider, or going with a third-party provider. Oh well, those are just some things you may want to think about.

As for remote desktop on Linux, you might look intofreenx, or use Nomachine's NX. You can use the nomachine nx client for both (free), and it works just like terminal services/remote desktop on windows.

Last edited:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Great info Thermal. Thanks for the detailed post.

I might actually check out those remote desktop options for Linux, but really it's not a big deal for me since I have been using SSH for years to get things done.